Chains,link spacing

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Thinking my next step is to load the rears and invest in some chains. I've had traditional twist link,and v bar in the past on other tractors,and I think the v bar are well suited to my gravel drive. Like the smoother ride of single link spacing,but not sure there is a traction advantage,and wondering if they are worth the extra cost?

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
I run the double link ladder spacing primarily because I have some paved roads that I travel to get to portions of my property and the double link spacing makes the ride so much smoother than using 4 link spacing or larger.

If I have to clear snow in the subdivision then I have even more paved roadway to travel. So the 2 link spacing is paying dividends that the old body of mine appreciates.

The ladder configuration seems to work fine on my gravel areas and I have been pleased with this choice.

Can't say I have ever seen single link spacing but if it really does exist I would think that might be much harder to justify cost wise. I think the weight in handling single link chains would be a big challenge as well.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
I run the double link ladder spacing primarily because I have some paved roads that I travel to get to portions of my property and the double link spacing makes the ride so much smoother than using 4 link spacing or larger.

If I have to clear snow in the subdivision then I have even more paved roadway to travel. So the 2 link spacing is paying dividends that the old body of mine appreciates.

The ladder configuration seems to work fine on my gravel areas and I have been pleased with this choice.

Can't say I have ever seen single link spacing but if it really does exist I would think that might be much harder to justify cost wise. I think the weight in handling single link chains would be a big challenge as well.
Sorry,I most likely used incorrect terminology,what I referred to as single link spacing would be a crosser,than a space,then anouther crosser etc. Your point of weight is a good one,the more crossers,the more un sprung weight on the rear.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Picked up 2 sets (4 tires)in like new condition today,they are atv chains, with the v bars. Cross links are 16" ,one set has crossers every second link,the other set has double the space, they were made for 27" wheels ,so I'm sure I'll be able to make up a pair that will be perfect for my 31 x 10.5 tires,and for a fraction of the new price.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Nice find!

Make a set of 2-link, and you'll be good.

You made a good choice of 2-link versus 4. Work better on a gravel drive, and that's spoken from experience.

Good luck!

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Got the length all figured out and one mounted before dark set in,working out quite nicely,and have six crossers left over.the one set is "swisher" brand,and I like the cam lock better than any I have seen before,much easier to work with. I am concider ing using some of the extra chain and a couple small turnbuckles to further tighten them up.