Chains for front wheels on 4WD BX 2350 ?

SpokaneDude

Equipment
BX2350, FM 125 tiller, Land Pride blade, BotaProducts fuel & HST filter mods
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
I was thinking of adding snow chains to the front wheels of my BX 2350; I already have chains on the rear wheels year - round, and thought it would be a good idea for the front wheels to have them too.
Good idea? If not, please indicate why not; if a good idea, where would be the best place to purchase the chains?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I use both F and R chains on my B1750 and B3350 when plowing snow. Front chains help with steering.

Hard to beat tirechains.com.

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I was thinking of adding snow chains to the front wheels of my BX 2350; I already have chains on the rear wheels year - round, and thought it would be a good idea for the front wheels to have them too.
Good idea? If not, please indicate why not; if a good idea, where would be the best place to purchase the chains?
if on front and back at same time and you do not abuse it should be fine.

front only is a no-no as it could put undue stress on the piddly front axles as the front could be forced to make most of the work in slippery situations. When front is forced to make all the traction it overwhelms the front axle when the rear is designed to make most of the work/stresses.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I think the rule is stay off pavement or other hard road surfaces .
animal The steering advantage with chains comes in handy .
animals45

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I use usually use all 4 on my L2501. It does seem to help steering, but not that much. The front will still slide.

That being said, I usually only use rears on my Polaris Ranger even though I have fronts. It also works fine.

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
As has been said in previous posts. Kubota and many/most manufacturers advise against front chains. If you look at the size difference between front and rear axles, it's easy to see why.
That said, I have always run all four. In many situations it's essential for stearing and control. Make your own choice and be careful.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
So, you folks who use chains, is there any tire damage? Would figure yes if on pavement but not sure on gravel. Am hesitant to use chains.

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
I have never had tire damage from chains, tractor or truck, but even on a truck it's for slow speed use in my case. They do need to be properly fitting and kept snug. On pavement, spin a tire on ice and you will scare the road or driveway.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
So, you folks who use chains, is there any tire damage? Would figure yes if on pavement but not sure on gravel. Am hesitant to use chains.
depends on the surface and the type of tire chains but in many instances ..... yes.... using chains on tires can be harder on the rubber than not using chains especially using aggressive chains that flipped, on hard surfaces, at higher speeds, when tires spin, etc.. .

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
IMG_2495.jpeg

Old car chains on the B26 front. Used more for ice or mud on our farm. Using the loader it is hard to beat easy on and off.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I used front chains (along with rears) on my B series with R4s. In my opinion it was utterly useless without them. Good with them. I got them from tirechain.com

IMG_2252.jpeg
IMG_2253.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have a set of double ladder front chains on my R4's. Just a heads up warning they can walk, keep an eye on them that they don't contact your steering arms.

I'm not a fan of the chains and added low profile studs on all four tires. I'm starting my third season with them and the chains have remained on my wall hangers since I put the studs in.