Chain saws -- Stihl MS 251 CB-E

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Do any of you have this saw? I am very interested in this tool less saw. I was curious if anyone has used or owns one and can tell me anything about it.

I'm sick and tired of constantly looking for the tool to tighten the chain etc. Just seems like a brilliant idea if it actually works.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I have the 250 C-BE (same saw just older version). The tensioner for the chain works flawlessly once you get to know how it works (hint: lift bar tip before locking it down and rotate the black tightening wheel very small amounts at a time tightens chain but quit a bit). The easy start (spring wind and release) works flawlessly. Hilarous (somewhat dangerous though) to watch those who not familiar with their easy start when they jerk on the starter rope to start and then realize first pull is really an easy light pull wind of the spring.

I wanted a small / light saw mostly for limbing and although this is a homeowners saw (normally I stick to the professional models of stihl) I have a huge amount of hours on it. I use it much more than I ever expected as it is both light and flawless. I often use it all day cutting rounds versus picking up one of my larger saws.

For me its a toss up whether my favourite saw is the 261 m-tronic professional or the 250 CB-E. Being a little older than most a light saw is important to me.

I cut alot of wood and put it through a new Wallenstein Wood Processor.

I wouldn't hesitate to give my 250 CB-E 5 stars out of 5 over a 10 year test.

1650301289915.png

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
Tensioner works great! This saw is the easiest machine I own - it starts on the first pull most days. It's not super powerful, but I use it for limbs and dont ask much of it..

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Home owner with a MS-250 tool less. Tool less works like a champ once you get used to it. First couple of times out I over tightened the chain. No biggy just a quick adjustment. I used to use this to cut a winters worth of firewood. Now it gets used to remove fallen trees from the driveway or to a tree or two for firewood.
I've had this sit for in the barn over the winter and still start after a bunch of pulls. The easy start takes a little practice. Think out of shape old man. No need to pull too hard.

Funny things is that the spark plug tool still has a screw driver end for the old adjustment screw.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I bought my MS-251 C-BE last April. I have an 18" bar on it. other than a problem with a bad needle & seat that my dealer had fixed by replacing the carb. It works like a champ. I do have to watch how hard I push it in bigger cuts as it will stall the chain. The tensioner and the spring start were the reason I bought it.
They have been flawless for the past year...
The photo is the trees I cut up to put on the burn pile a couple of weeks ago. The saw and my EA grapple made it a short afternoon of cleaning up some of the leaners on my property.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have the smaller 185 version and the tension mechanism is great but if you change bars often you may not like having to move parts from bar to bar. It isn’t hard but there is a small screw that is easily lost during the change. Also I believe that any bar has to be a Sthil product to carry the bar adjuster.

Spare adjuster is fairly costly @ about 30 dollars for the bar mounted portion

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I bought an MSA 220 last year and find the adjuster works best as long as you pull off the cover and bar and clean everything with a brush thoroughly every time you refill the lube tank. If you don't crud build up interferes with the adjuster mechanism.

I do prefer the new adjuster. I've swapped my multitool wrench for a soft plastic brush.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Little late but I own this exact saw as well. I have cut down over 50 trees with it, Some of them so large I had to cut from two sides to get all the way through the tree; Buried the bar. In terms of the engine, the power, and the reliability, the saw is fantastic for its size and price point. The only times Ive felt it struggle with power is in these huge trees where I have burried the full 18 inch bar, and even then It still managed to power through.

I do have a few things that have annoyed me with the saw though, and it is all with the chain tension system. I have only owned a handfull of chainsaws. I tend to buy one and use it until its wore slap out. My last chainsaw prior to this one was a husqvarna, which was the traditional tension system that required tools. I feel like on the Stihl 251, I often end up hitting the limit of tension space from chains stretching, faster. I have about 6 chains now hanging on a nail in my shop that are perfectly sharp, and not terribly old chains, but they strethed enough that I cant get them tight on the 251 any longer, without removing a link. I just never had this problem nearly as bad on the old husqvarna. I feel like it was able to push the bar further and keep tension much longer on chains. Chain stretching is a known issue though with chainsaws, and given I dont have a ton of saw ownership experience it could mean that this is a very common problem, I just know it never has been an issue until I got the MS 251 CB-E. I can put a new chain on it, and if I work the saw heavy for just like 2 weekends in a row the chain tension is already running out of room on the 251. I have taken steps to try and minimize chain stretching by going easy on brand new chains, warming them up with plenty of oil first, by not over tightening them, etc etc, but nothing makes an impactful difference. It just feels to me the 251 cb-e doesnt have enough tensioning space to work with.

I love the engine and feel of the stihl over my previous husqvarna. I do think that my next saw however will NOT be another tool-less design. Because ofthe above issue, and because it just feels that Im always dealing with a chain that feels looser more often. For example - I have thrown the chain way more often on this MS 251 than I ever did on the husqvarna. Its hard to say if the tensioner is losing just a tad of tightness after setting it, or what, but Ive just never been 100% satisfied personally with the chain tension mechanism as a whole on this saw. While I have never broken it, I also do always worry that the plastic tension spindle handle is going to break one day.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I got the MS 251 CB-E. I can put a new chain on it, and if I work the saw heavy for just like 2 weekends in a row the chain tension is already running out of room on the 251.
Thank you for the information.

Thats a very interesting issue. So are you saying that the bar slots are not as long? From what I understand, the only difference between this saw and the 'regular' saws is the method of tightening the chain tension, not the travel distance available to tighten. But you seem to be having that exact problem.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I don't get the hub bub over a quick adjuster. I touched up the chain on my 192 C this morning and noticed it needed to tighten up. a good 30 seconds later it was tight .... Ta DA!
I never leave home without my saw box, files, wrenches, gas. bar oil, wedges and some rope.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I don't get the hub bub over a quick adjuster. I touched up the chain on my 192 C this morning and noticed it needed to tighten up. a good 30 seconds later it was tight .... Ta DA!
I never leave home without my saw box, files, wrenches, gas. bar oil, wedges and some rope.
In my case it wasn't the adjuster that sold me on it. It was the spring assist start. 50years ago I would have said only a wus would get it.... After seeing how well it works on the backpack blower and now that I'm getting older it sure makes it way easier to start than my old early '80's chain saw... The tool free chain adjust is just nice to have. But then I admit I don't normally take the saw off my property so going back to the barn to get tools or gas ect is not a big deal.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Thank you for the information.

Thats a very interesting issue. So are you saying that the bar slots are not as long? From what I understand, the only difference between this saw and the 'regular' saws is the method of tightening the chain tension, not the travel distance available to tighten. But you seem to be having that exact problem.
Well I don't have a, say, the MS 250, to compare it too, but I know that with the MS 251 cb-e, I feel I run out of tension space before I even need to sharpen the chain. The chains just stretch and I am no longer able to use them, as the saw can no longer extend the bar and tighten them. I never had this problem with my previous husqvarna saw. I felt like chains lasted much much longer on that saw, and I was always able to tighten them up. It is very possible my problem has nothing to do with the tooless tensioning system, I've never tested it against a tooled saw like the MS 250, but I just know this has been one disappointment I've had with the MS 251 CB-E

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can switch over to the different tightening system on that saw if you want to I think but it may be somewhat expensive unless you are replacing your bar anyway

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I have a Stihl Miniboss, MS180C with the rotary knob tensioner. Sometimes after tightening, the tension will increase when locking the bar down. I have an old Stihl 011, tool required, that does the same thing.

Tpack

Equipment
Kubota L3901/4x4/525 FEL /1260 Cutter
Aug 22, 2015
Stephenville
I have had this saw for 6 years. It starts very easily. I only use premixed Stihl Fuel. Love mine.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I have had this saw for 6 years. It starts very easily. I only use premixed Stihl Fuel. Love mine.
I dont use a chainsaw all the time, so I run TruFuel in it, that is premixed. Its the same thing as the Stihl Motomix. I would run the motomix but Its a longer drive to get to it. I can get TruFuel at lowes or my local hardware store. It is ethanol free 92 octane, and has a multi year shelf life. I use this in all my small engines. If you are like me and you use a chainsaw only for various weekends to work on specific projects then go maybe months before touching it again, then its a good solution, as you will have fuel sitting in the saw for months. Regular gas can go stale as we all know. This is just something I have always done personally. The fuel is a bit pricey but again, I only burn it sparingly. All of my small engines crank on a single pull typically, and carburetors are always super clean.