Centre of balance question

FluentDiscSport

Equipment
BX23S + Woodland Mills Chipper & Stump Grinder
Sep 23, 2023
Huntsville, Ontario, Canada
Hey team orange! I "grew up" on my in-laws 80's era Kubota and so when it came time to get my own tractor I was looking through orange coloured glasses. My company designs and builds disc golf courses, often in thick forest so I had a few requirements; I needed a narrow width meaning fewer trees to take down for transitions / trails between holes, had to have a three point hitch for my chipper and stump grinder, a low centre of gravity as I'm often travelling across fall lines, and a backhoe for excavating tee pads.

I purchased the BX23S and have been using it for a year and am in love with it, but I'm also finding I wish I had more HP (35-50) for some larger more demanding implements. I'm looking at the L4802 but since it's a more traditional tractor that's higher off the ground, I'm concerned about it being more prone to tipping. There's even a narrow model option but it just increases the potential. I know how to keep implements low and what happens when you hit a root/stump, or a dip while on a steep hill. What I'm wondering is how different the centre of gravity is on the larger machine, do the larger wheels with more ballast make up for the higher stance, are there other considerations, etc?

Would appreciate your take!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may want to check out Ventrac instead of Kubota

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey team orange! I "grew up" on my in-laws 80's era Kubota and so when it came time to get my own tractor I was looking through orange coloured glasses. My company designs and builds disc golf courses, often in thick forest so I had a few requirements; I needed a narrow width meaning fewer trees to take down for transitions / trails between holes, had to have a three point hitch for my chipper and stump grinder, a low centre of gravity as I'm often travelling across fall lines, and a backhoe for excavating tee pads.

I purchased the BX23S and have been using it for a year and am in love with it, but I'm also finding I wish I had more HP (35-50) for some larger more demanding implements. I'm looking at the L4802 but since it's a more traditional tractor that's higher off the ground, I'm concerned about it being more prone to tipping. There's even a narrow model option but it just increases the potential. I know how to keep implements low and what happens when you hit a root/stump, or a dip while on a steep hill. What I'm wondering is how different the centre of gravity is on the larger machine, do the larger wheels with more ballast make up for the higher stance, are there other considerations, etc?

Is this an admittance of: ........I did not..... "buy enough tractor"?
Has this ever happened before? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Another comparison to look at across the line up would not be just the ground clearance but also the track width. I think if you have a criteria for a narrow width, that really going to limit you choices. Tire ballast certainly helps and wheel weights help also…I am not sure what all models you are considering, but if worried about stability make sure the wheels are compatible with wheel weights. The combination of filled tires and wheel weights is very helpful IMO. I use both as well as either an implement or a ballast box depending on my chores / terrain. Not sure that answers your question.

I do think an 4702 is a significant upgrade from a BX and if looking for more capability, I think you found it. I’ve gone from a BX to a B plus an MX. In my opinion the BX was more stable than the B. But in the woods the ground clearance of the B is helpful. The Mx is much more stable than the B. Maybe ask the dealer for a demo? Happy shopping. 🥃

Reactions: 1 user

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY

Wow, cool company!

One thing to consider (if you haven’t already). A 4802 is not just wider, but way longer than a bx. If you’re working in tight spaces, maneuvering it (like, turning it around) may be a PITA.

I went for a B2301 to an L4701, and sometimes I definitely notice it’s less maneuverable. Like doing a k turn in a small area.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Is this an admittance of: ........I did not..... "buy enough tractor"?
Has this ever happened before? ;)
Oh brother here we go again! TOOT TOOT! Maybe if you had a smaller tractor it wouldnt always be parked in the barn? LOL!:unsure:

• Haha

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Another option would be smaller wheels on the L4802. I have seen 50-60 hp tractors on small fat turf wheels for mowing. It would be a speciality thing so might take some effort to find. This would give the power and low center of gravity you are after.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

You need two tractors - a big'un and a lit'lun. You are half way there. A L4802 would complete the set. R1 tires and wheels on the L4802 will get you an adjustable rear tread width and factory wheel weights

Dan

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

There is no magic number for size, it falls back on the operator when it comes to keeping the shiny side up.

Some guys manage to break and flip stuff , even big stuff.

1695555205876.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sigh.. bet he drove up onto the 'rubble ramp' to remove the roof ??

agree , 2 units. maybe a small tracked machine is an option ?? without seeing the properties ,it's hard to say what's the right machine but bigger may not be better if size matters

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Oh brother here we go again! TOOT TOOT! Maybe if you had a smaller tractor it wouldnt always be parked in the barn? LOL!:unsure:
I just wonder what size tractor (TLB) you will have, and how often YOU will be USING it, when 83 years old......
Will you even be using a tractor at all?

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If I read my father-in-law correctly, you get buried with your tractor ;)
I am 100% in agreement with your father-in-law!

I have owned a dedicated TLB for a total of 37 years.
Problem is: I just don't believe that the VA is going to allow my current L48 TLB to dig in their cemetery.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

FluentDiscSport

Equipment
Sep 23, 2023
Wow, cool company!

One thing to consider (if you haven’t already). A 4802 is not just wider, but way longer than a bx. If you’re working in tight spaces, maneuvering it (like, turning it around) may be a PITA.

I went for a B2301 to an L4701, and sometimes I definitely notice it’s less maneuverable. Like doing a k turn in a small area.
Thanks, on both accounts! Honestly, I forgot about the length. Looks like the 4802 is about 20-30" longer w/o PTO, plus a larger set of arms and bucket.... very good point! And turning radius and manoeuvrability in the woods is a big deal in my circumstances. The suggestion further down the thread that I need two may not be far off the mark... down the rabbit hole I continue :D

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks, on both accounts! Honestly, I forgot about the length. Looks like the 4802 is about 20-30" longer w/o PTO, plus a larger set of arms and bucket.... very good point! And turning radius and manoeuvrability in the woods is a big deal in my circumstances. The suggestion further down the thread that I need two may not be far off the mark... down the rabbit hole I continue :D
Tractors are not like condoms - a guy needs more than one size.

Dan

• Love
  • Haha

FluentDiscSport

Equipment
Sep 23, 2023
You need two tractors - a big'un and a lit'lun. You are half way there. A L4802 would complete the set. R1 tires and wheels on the L4802 will get you an adjustable rear tread width and factory wheel weights
I was trying to suppress that little voice in my head that was saying the same thing ;) And yeah, the R4's have not done me any favours when I bury it in mud!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a 48HP TLB, and a 32HP FEL.
Perfect combination for me

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
I have the bx-2680 and have tipping fears. Though I have some pretty steep slopes, my problem is sinkholes and the smallish tires on my tractor are too easily fall into them.
The previous owner simply cut them flush, and they are under the moss, so I don't see them until I fall into one.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have the bx-2680 and have tipping fears. Though I have some pretty steep slopes, my problem is sinkholes and the smallish tires on my tractor are too easily fall into them.
The previous owner simply cut them flush, and they are under the moss, so I don't see them until I fall into one.
Solution: Much bigger tractor..........with much bigger tires!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I almost got thrown off the BX cutting a field. The front wheel dropped into a hole I couldn't see and it stopped the BX hard enough that I kept going. Never had that problem with either MX or the M.