Caution when removing the LA344 on the BX1880

OrangeHiC

Equipment
BX1880, 54” Deck, LA344
Feb 27, 2021
Moore, Oklahoma
Hi all I love my new BX 1880. Ive only had it about a week. Ive already been through the leaking connector etc. It was replaced by the dealer.
While removing the loader however, the RH lockout arms for the stand did not lock out. It remained straight and when I rotated the bucket It warped the stand. I straightened it but just thought I would give everyone a heads up to check before decoupling the loader.
Sorry if this is a repeat etc.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Although I have a “quick-detach” loader.... I’ve never removed it. I wonder what reasons owners have for removing/installing/removing/installing....? Why not simply leave it installed and forgettaboutit?

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Although I have a “quick-detach” loader.... I’ve never removed it. I wonder what reasons owners have for removing/installing/removing/installing....? Why not simply leave it installed and forgettaboutit?
I remove mine for the blower in the winter and in the summer it is on all summer.

But, if I had a tractor with a mid mounted mower, I would probably remove it and only have it installed as I needed it. It really only takes about 3 minutes to do. I can see the benefit of not having it out in front of you, especially if you are mowing around areas that are close tight clearance.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Having the SSQ option on the bucket pretty much negates the need to remove the entire loader off the tractor with regard to clearance issues while mowing.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I remove mine when mowing around my house. I put it back on when needed. Depending on what is going on in my world it spends about 50% of the time on and 50% off. I have a pallet I put it on when I am not going to be using it for awhile.

This was one of the reasons I bought a BX2380 over the JD or any other tractor out there.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Hi all I love my new BX 1880. Ive only had it about a week. Ive already been through the leaking connector etc. It was replaced by the dealer.
While removing the loader however, the RH lockout arms for the stand did not lock out. It remained straight and when I rotated the bucket It warped the stand. I straightened it but just thought I would give everyone a heads up to check before decoupling the loader.
I would report it to the dealer ASAP. The lockout arm mechanism could be defective and the warranty or the insurance would cover that.
As far as removing the FEL, mine comes off every week and a half for mowing. I have a bunch of tight areas that I have to get into. I also have the 3PH off so I will not end up "harpooning" one of my A/C units when backing up. Additionally, my shed's storage space is so tight, that the 3PH has to remain off and the FEL on or I could not close the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Mostly leave my loader off. Much easier to mow without the loader on and I do a lot more mowing with my BX than I do loader work. Thankfully, I live where the weather suits my clothes and don't have to deal with that white crap in the winter.

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Tight clearance mowing. Ideal for my various uses would have been a M around 65hp an a small BX. Too much up front cost, too much storage, too much maintenance, too many implements that wouldn’t work with both; just too much. So I ended up with the compromise of the biggest little tractor that would fit in the small places or the smallest big tractor that would get the heavier work done depending on how you look at it. Even with the SSQA empty it just doesn’t fit some places. Not hurrying at all, loader is 5 minutes off, 5 minutes on. About the same as 3 point without quick hitch and arguably easier than 3 point with PTO.

Last edited:

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I've never mowed with loader on nor ever plan too.
Actually thinking back my loader hasn't picked up anything since May 2020.
no snow banks to move this winter :)

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
Maybe this is what happened to me. I've had my first tractor and loader for about a month. Yesterday I had to struggle for about 45 minutes get the loader back on after mowing. When I finally did and went to lock the stand in place the right side linkage was reversed and pointing up. I got off and had a closer look. One of the pins on the link was bent which allowed it to reverse and the stand was bent so the right foot sits about a 1/2" above the surface when the stand is down, and the bucket is flat on the ground. I had no idea how it happened, and am still not sure. Going to drop it at the dealer to look at it. The stand and link are about $400 Cdn if they cannot be straightened. The insurance deductible is $250. New parts may be the way to go as the labour to repair will be covered.

Last edited:

FOEngineer

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, 48" mid-mount mower, Kubota MCS
Dec 14, 2020
New Hampshire
So I am not the only one having this issue!! I have had this problem twice now, where the LH arm did not bend the correct way and it broke the welds on the bump stop which is supposed to be used to push the arm so that pin can contact and make sure it bends the correct way.

I have the bump stops rewelded on and now the LH arm where it contacts the bump stop does not contact correctly and it isn't working properly still. I might need to replace the LH arm for the stand so I can prevent it from happening again and bending the stand.

I will post some pictures when I get the chance, the other thing I am seeing is that if the loader is not taken off correctly (bucket cutting edge taking weight before the stand legs touch ground) that it can cause this. They do say the ground needs to be flat and level to prevent the stand from torqueing, but how perfect does it need? I find it hard to believe that they would have designed it such that you would need a perfectly flat and level ground to be able to take the loader on and off, or if they did then its a bad design. In New England to there is little to no perfectly flat and level ground to do this on especially in residential settings.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Are you sure that when you lift the the front end of the tractor, you are lifting just with the bucket and the stand is not touching the ground? The stand can not take the weight of the tractor, only the weight of the FEL.

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
I have watched this and other similar videos. I am sure I must have gotten the weight of the tractor on the stand to have bent it. It sure looks easy in the video and if I had a paved drive or parking area maybe that would help.

The first time I took the loader off was on level grass. Big mistake as the bucket sunk on one side and it had to be lifted and levelled with boards to reattach. I tried a gravel pad and the bucket dug in instead of lifting, tried 2'x2' concrete patio stone on the gravel and they just slid forward instead of lifting the tractor. I threw together a platform out of old 2" thick planks I had. That seems to be a decent temporary solution. I think I'll have to pour a concrete pad to drop the loader on. Has anyone had success taking this loader off on a surface other than asphalt or concrete. If so any tips or advice would be most welcome.

Bri-Guy-GA

Equipment
Kubota BX1880
Sep 10, 2020
Villa Rica, GA
I think you have nailed the problem. I take my loader off every week to mow and after a bit of trial and error I can get the loader back on in 2 minutes or less now. I always remove/re-install on concrete. If you are doing it on the ground things can move allowing the smaller parts to bend. Try a pallet, that may give you the firm surface you need.