Cat 1 to Cat 2 Potato Plow

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Finally finished adapting the potato plow to work with either tractor. Took to a buddy’s shop for the welding. Certainly not cost efficient compared to just using the bushings that I’ve been using, but it will work with both machines and pats as well as QH20 on the big girl…and that was the goal. It was pretty stout as purchased but it definitely added some heft/weight. I wanted to keep the color same as the original purchase but I had some orange paint in cabinet.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Looks nice, but for the "agriculturally challenged", what did you add/do?

Did you add that vertical piece?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Looks nice, but for the "agriculturally challenged", what did you add/do?

Did you add that vertical piece?
Maybe some of WIP pics would help?…key point is originally it was only cat 1 and not compatible with my QH. So it’s been modified to be cat 2. If my measurements and thinking juice were applied correctly, it should doc to my QH20. I hope to have a fitting and trial in the field in a couple weeks.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Maybe some of WIP pics would help?…key point is originally it was only cat 1 and not compatible with my QH. So it’s been modified to be cat 2. If my measurements and thinking juice were applied correctly, it should doc to my QH20. I hope to have a fitting and trial in the field in a couple weeks.
Ahhhhh....I got it now.

Very nice job!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks. Yeah sorry I did not explain better…this may be very sacreligesous for some 😉, but it is used in place of a backhoe…it doesn’t mean I love the backhoe any less or that it is not still important.

Before it attached like first pic (no QH just used a simple bushing over the pins, but the QH needed to be removed). The Goal is the modified version docs with the QH similar to the bedder in second pic which also has been adjusted to function with the QH. The jist is I have a QH that is functional, but it’s fixed, and not ver flexible and I either needed to come to terms with adding a pats instead (to accommodate different width of implements) and cutting my PTO shafts, or I needed to modify my bedder and plow. Damned if I do, damned if I don’t. If I were to do over I would not have bought the QH and just gone with pats.

If this doesn’t work, the. I may need you to coach me with my verbiage in a future post. If this fails I don’t think I would be able to assemble an appropriate post/comment without some mentorship and supervision.

Attachments

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I had to look up what a "pats" is, but it looks to me like it will work.

I will be 'at the ready' for any verbiage needed.....I was practicing my "foul mouthed rants" this weekend in the shop....LOL

You should have heard the tirade I went on looking for my glasses for 20 minutes......

My wife finally came down stairs and firmly/loudly said "Quiet down!!!!.....They're on your fu@@ing head for Gods sake!!!!"

I was so proud that after 30+ years, I'm finally "rubbing off" on her.(a little):p

• Haha

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It fits…it attaches just the same as my back blade which is I what I made template / pattern from.

There are no outstanding requests for language coaching.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Finally finished adapting the potato plow to work with either tractor. Took to a buddy’s shop for the welding. Certainly not cost efficient compared to just using the bushings that I’ve been using, but it will work with both machines and pats as well as QH20 on the big girl…and that was the goal. It was pretty stout as purchased but it definitely added some heft/weight. I wanted to keep the color same as the original purchase but I had some orange paint in cabinet.
These sorts of projects are among my favorites. Great upgrade for sure! (y)

I picked up a pair of D-rings the other day to add to the M1078 so will spend the morning finishing up the receiver so that I can get to work on the additional driveway hauling dirt from A to B.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
It fits…it attaches just the same as my back blade which is I what I made template / pattern from.

There are no outstanding requests for language coaching.
It's not the time, but the reward. Given the task, your reward will always be behind you.

Nice.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It's not the time, but the reward. Given the task, your reward will always be behind you.

Nice.
You got that right…it’s a lot easier to put the plow on/off the QH, than is was to take the QH off and put plow on/off and the. Put the QH back on.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
You got that right…it’s a lot easier to put the plow on/off the QH, than is was to take the QH off and put plow on/off and the. Put the QH back on.
We think a lot alike, I am the same way. Work smarter. Not harder.