Carry all.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
The specifications for the BX2380 say that the lift capacity of the 3 point hitch is 680 pounds at 24" behind the pin. Is that the lift arm pins or the top link pin? If it were the lift arm pins I would think they would have said 24" behind the pins.

From what I'm seeing on carry alls it looks like the carry all from Northern Tool could weigh close to 200 pounds after putting a bottom, back, and sides on it made from 2 x's. That would leave 480 pounds or maybe 500 pounds for the carry all at 24" behind the pin.

Is my reasoning correct?

Last edited:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
The specifications for the BX2380 say that the lift capacity of the 3 point hitch is 680 pounds at 24" behind the pin.
I'm not sure about your reasoning because I am looking at my B manual and can't see that reference anywhere. Where are you getting those specs?
In my manual the capacities are shown under "implement limitations".
Do you have access to a Kubota manual for that tractor? If not you can find one online. Or call your dealer. At the pin is just as good as saying over there.
My best guess would be "at the pins" is the actual attachment point of the implement, since all implements weight is well behind that point. It's a shame that tractor manufactures can't standardize the jargon to make it easy for us to understand and compare machines.

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I struggled with the same problem for ballast on my BX2370. The "Operator's Manual" specifications says the lift capacity is 680# 24 inches behind the lift points. Lifting that much weight and having it bouncing around on the back of a working BX may be two different things. Plus the three point on a BX will sag pretty fast with that amount of weight.
I went with the 420# listed for an implement as a counterweight on page 7 of the "Operator's Manual under "Rear Ballast". With 420# back there I am well aware of the extra weight while operating the tractor, and it seems to provide adequate ballast for a fully loaded fel. I have moved several logs with the fel that I could barely pick up, but felt safe in moving the logs with the 420# on the rear. I also have loaded rear tires.
With the 420# I still have the problem with the 3 point sagging and have just fitted some check chains to hold up the 3 point when using the ballast.
For the ballast weight I also bought a carry all and attached treated lumber for a back and bottom. For weight I added a wooden box with legs so I can back the carry all under the box to pick it up, or drop it off to just use the carry all. I filled the box with some of the abundant rocks on our property for weight. Total ballast: carry all, treated lumber, wooden box, and rocks ~ 420#.

Last edited:

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
With the 420# I still have the problem with the 3 point sagging and have just fitted some check chains to hold up the 3 point when using the ballast.
My BX 3ph sags with weight as well, but not if I close the valve under the seat. I can see where check chains might be the way go in some situations, e.g., using a brush hog, but when carrying ballast I'm ok just closing the valve when I've got the weight as low as I want it to go. Just passing this along in case it's helpful--otherwise ignore!

For the ballast weight I also bought a carry all and attached treated lumber for a back and bottom. For weight I added a wooden box with legs so I can back the carry all under the box to pick it up, or drop it off to just use the carry all. I filled the box with some of the abundant rocks on our property for weight. Total ballast: carry all, treated lumber, wooden box, and rocks ~ 420#.
Great idea! I bought a carry all last year, and have been thinking about a similar box design, but haven't gotten around to building anything. Any chance you've got some pics you can share?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
My BX 3ph sags with weight as well, but not if I close the valve under the seat. I can see where check chains might be the way go in some situations, e.g., using a brush hog, but when carrying ballast I'm ok just closing the valve when I've got the weight as low as I want it to go. Just passing this along in case it's helpful--otherwise ignore!

Thanks for the information I never tried closing the valve as I thought the hydraulic cylinder was probably leaking through for the 3 point to sag. I think closing the valve to stop the sagging indicates the control valve is leaking through. I agree at times the best way will be to close the valve if it stops the sagging on all tractors.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Great idea! I bought a carry all last year, and have been thinking about a similar box design, but haven't gotten around to building anything. Any chance you've got some pics you can share?[/QUOTE]

I will try to get the tractor out tomorrow and take some pictures of the carry all and weight box.

Here are the pictures of my Carry All with the weight box and the check chains.

Attachments

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I edited my previous post to add the pictures and then realized editing doesn't show up as a new post so this is just to bump the thread for those interested in my carry all ballast. The check chains were not my idea, but were copied from a post in previous thread on OTT.