Cardinal Sin Overfill HST

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I thought I was careful but using 2.5 gallon jugs instead of the one gallon kind of screwed me up, or at least that's my excuse. I overfilled my HST when I changed fluid on my B2650, dipstick was a couple of inches above full. Sorry if someone already thought of this but I couldn't find it in a search so I thought I would pass my experience on. I got a 60cc syringe and tubing that would fit down the dipstick hole, then I measured the tubing so that the end of the tubing approximately was at the top of the fill mark. Then I suctioned the fluid out of that hole until it quit showing fluid. Of course I checked the level during the procedure to prove my theory. It took a while, probably ten times which was about 1/2 quart, but this method kept me from having to loosen the drain plug and making a mess. I did start by trying to suction the fill hole/reservoir but it was awkward and then this idea popped into my head. Hope this helps someone.
And what a mess I made changing the front differential fluid. That drain plug is so low it took some searching to find a container that would half way work. I used a disposable aluminum pan that I could form but it was still a mess. I think next time I will jack up the tractor a bit until I can get a proper container under the drain plugs. Anybody have a better method?

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
And what a mess I made changing the front differential fluid. That drain plug is so low it took some searching to find a container that would half way work. I used a disposable aluminum pan that I could form but it was still a mess. I think next time I will jack up the tractor a bit until I can get a proper container under the drain plugs. Anybody have a better method?
For the front axle I’ve always removed the front tires for cleaner access to the drain plug, and to drain both sides.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I thought I was careful but using 2.5 gallon jugs instead of the one gallon kind of screwed me up, or at least that's my excuse. I overfilled my HST when I changed fluid on my B2650, dipstick was a couple of inches above full. Sorry if someone already thought of this but I couldn't find it in a search so I thought I would pass my experience on. I got a 60cc syringe and tubing that would fit down the dipstick hole, then I measured the tubing so that the end of the tubing approximately was at the top of the fill mark. Then I suctioned the fluid out of that hole until it quit showing fluid. Of course I checked the level during the procedure to prove my theory. It took a while, probably ten times which was about 1/2 quart, but this method kept me from having to loosen the drain plug and making a mess. I did start by trying to suction the fill hole/reservoir but it was awkward and then this idea popped into my head. Hope this helps someone.
Buy a bigger tractor with more ground clearance? :ROFLMAO:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Not sure that HST being overfilled is a problem, or at least a big problem. If you fill it just right, then attach an implement that has the rams fully extended, then crowd the rams in, you'll put all that fluid back into your reservoir. It must have some capability to take overfilling.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Not sure that HST being overfilled is a problem, or at least a big problem. If you fill it just right, then attach an implement that has the rams fully extended, then crowd the rams in, you'll put all that fluid back into your reservoir. It must have some capability to take overfilling.
I've read it both ways, problem no problem, so decided to play it safe.

Reactions: 1 users

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
For the front axle I’ve always removed the front tires for cleaner access to the drain plug, and to drain both sides.
Good idea, I'll try to remember that next time, makes sense for access and it can be jacked up to get a container in place.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Not sure about your model but extra oil (as long as there is still expansion room once it gets warm)... is not that bad. It's just a big tank. My standard L takes "7 gallons" to be Full according to the sight glass. I've been 3 gallons low and were able to drive the tractor to the house to re-fill after a cooler line slipped off. Another guy accidentally filled his tank completely full to the neck of the fill area... he was able to drain out 3 gallons to get it within spec.

This early Standard L had a Product Improvement Bulletin, which Kubota Engineers signed off, stating we could fill an extra gallon and a half to submerge some noise (ratching) CAMS to be under hydraulic oil. Ever since, 12 years ago, I run about a gallon over the sight glass.

BUT it's your tractor...

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I’m thinking a half quart over full is minimal, maybe 3 to 5% overfull? But it’s not “wrong” to get it just right.

As to the front axle drains, I just cut the sides of a large sour cream container to fit under the portal axle drain plug and on top of the inside lip of the rim. Then drill a hole in the side of that container on the side towards the center of the tractor and then put a large, shallow pan up against the inside edge of the tire, on the ground so the crazy funnel type of assembly drains into that pan. Worked good on my L earlier this summer.