Can't shorten PTO shaft because of metal collar?

comb92

Equipment
BX2380 with FEL, Forks, 60" MMM, and Front Snowblower
Apr 27, 2021
Massachusetts
Hi everyone. I posted a reply in a thread specific to this attachment but figured I'd ask here for more visibility. I purchased an Agrimetal BW 1600 (PTO blower) through Everything Attachments for my BX2380 a few weeks ago. Everything looks great but I'm having trouble with cutting the shaft. I measured it up and found I need to take about 5.5" off. Of course, I need to take that off both metal shafts and both plastic shields. Trouble is, the PTO shaft that came with the attachment has a metal and plastic collar on one side of the shaft that seem immovable. The plastic piece in particular has some grey stuff that seems to be some kind of bonding agent. Pictures below. They're only about 3" from the end so I'd be unable to remove enough material. No video or forum I look at mentions this on any PTO shafts - every time I see one they're just the bare metal shaft. Any suggestions? Did I get sent the wrong shaft maybe or am I just missing something? Seems like maybe this shaft isn't meant to be cut that much? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
see response to other post. If that didn't work you could probably get by with cutting off just behind the cemented on parts if the resulting length is still long enough. It looks like you'd still have plenty of overlap.

Reactions: 1 user

comb92

Equipment
Apr 27, 2021
Massachusetts
see response to other post. If that didn't work you could probably get by with cutting off just behind the cemented on parts if the resulting length is still long enough. It looks like you'd still have plenty of overlap.
I replied to your other post, figured I'd keep it in the attachment thread in case other people run into the same issue. I agree though.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I replied to your other post, figured I'd keep it in the attachment thread in case other people run into the same issue. I agree though.
I wish you guys would provide a “Link” to the “other” discussion so we could find it and read it.
thx

comb92

Equipment
Apr 27, 2021
Massachusetts
The tube slides apart. Cut the inner sections on the free ends of the tube. Make sure to deburr the cuts. No need do disassemble the yolk ends.
Right, my problem is the metal and plastic collar I'm talking about are on the free ends of 1 of the shafts. If you look at the first picture, you can see the top shaft half has these pieces on the free end and the problem was that I had to take 5.5" off which put the cut right in the middle of that metal collar. I contacted the place I got it from who called Agrimetal and they said those pieces can be cut through. The metal collar is meant to center the plastic shielding of the inner shaft.

Mechanical Type

Equipment
Mx5200 8' scrape, 7'Box, 6' hog, Grapple, forks
May 17, 2020
Country Living
Did you call EA? Get their input. I would see if those collar pieces could be pressed off with my little 12t press. If not, destroy them and discard them. I see no purpose served other than holding the plastic guards in place. That can be accomplished with a myriad of other things.

comb92

Equipment
Apr 27, 2021
Massachusetts
Yeah, that's who I co
Did you call EA? Get their input. I would see if those collar pieces could be pressed off with my little 12t press. If not, destroy them and discard them. I see no purpose served other than holding the plastic guards in place. That can be accomplished with a myriad of other things.
Yeah, that's who I contacted first and they called Agrimetal to confirm. They agreed I can cut right through the collar or cut it off if needed.