Can't read hydraulic oil dip stick level - use dye?

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Hello,

I have a 2019 L3901. The hydraulic dip stick is silver metal. The hydraulic oil is clear on the stick and not once have I been able to read it with any confidence. I end up finding a zip tie to stick in there. Anyone have a good solution for this? I did find another post where they suggested John Deere dye. There are plenty of other dyes out there that are intended to find leaks. If I did add dye would I get any grief about my warranty if I had an issue?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hello,

I have a 2019 L3901. The hydraulic dip stick is silver metal. The hydraulic oil is clear on the stick and not once have I been able to read it with any confidence. I end up finding a zip tie to stick in there. Anyone have a good solution for this? I did find another post where they suggested John Deere dye. There are plenty of other dyes out there that are intended to find leaks. If I did add dye would I get any grief about my warranty if I had an issue?
Many dipsticks have a raised texture in the "Normal" level range to make discerning the fluid level easier. Some have holes which fill with oil when the dipstick, after being wiped clean, is reinserted.

Consider using a small triangle file and making two shallow notches at the low and medium levels.

Try this idea first on your zip tie to get an idea of the necessary depth of the notch. It should not need much depth.

The John Deere dyes are used by owners whose tractors have a sight glass rather than a dip stick.

You can also try using a Kleenex. Wipe the dip stick clean, re-insert and then use the edge of the Kleenex to slide down the dipstick watching for the edge to start absorbing oil.

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello,

Flashlight and reading glasses usually work for me.

Yes, it's annoying but it works.

SDT

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
i got hyd oil dye from PetroCanada. It's blue. shows up really good on the dip stick, and on snow! It only took a 1/4 of a small (1/2 qt) container to dye the ~15 gallons that are in this machine. one container will last you darn near a lifetime.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use Chevron THC Synthetic All weather hydraulic oil and it's dyed orange of all things.

Reactions: 1 user

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
You can also try using a Kleenex. Wipe the dip stick clean, re-insert and then use the edge of the Kleenex to slide down the dipstick watching for the edge to start absorbing oil.

Dave
I do something similar using the shop paper towel. Take the dipstick and place the tip on the towel and then lay the dipstick on the towel. Look for where the oil is absorbed by the towel to get your level.

Reactions: 1 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Black magic marker on the dipstick up to the full mark helps me.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm glad to I'm not alone. I have a devil of time seeing the oil on the dipstick.

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I wipe the dip stick clean and blacken the end with a magic marker. This lets you see the oil very well. I know that my father had used a torch to heat up the end of a dip stick until it turned blue from the heat. This is a more permanent solution to the magic marker.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I wipe the dip stick clean and blacken the end with a magic marker. This lets you see the oil very well. I know that my father had used a torch to heat up the end of a dip stick until it turned blue from the heat. This is a more permanent solution to the magic marker.
Read this after i got my 2022 l4060 last year. Just did the sudt2 oil and filters. The magic marker on the end works great. I measured what i removed and put that much back in. Then topped off for filter daturation that didnt drain. Worked great. Thanks !!
I heated the sharpie marks too. So discoloration quicker.