Can I use this tiller?

fransser

Jul 30, 2019
Sedgwick
Hi. I have one of the BX2380 tractor and need to do some tilling. The majority of the ground is reasonably "unpacked"....meaning that is was moved a while back and been settling in place for a couple of years. Another way of saying this is that the dirt is not hard-pan concrete. Anyhow, I can rent a tiller from the local rental company but it is a 5 foot tiller. If I was purchasing, I would only consider a 48" tiller as I think a 5 footer is too big. However, renting is much cheaper than buying, so is it possible to run this size tiller on the smaller tractor. I'd be OK with "taking it slow". I'd appreciate you thoughts, particularly if someone else has already tried this.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run a 62" tiller on my L series tractors, the smaller of which is an L3200 HST about 25HP at the PTO, your tractor has about 17HP at the PTO. I think you will be able to run it but as you have said you will need to take it slow and maybe run it a little shallower than normal, maybe do it in 2 passes. Not perfect but as you said rental is cheaper than buying. Good luck with it.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Tillers are expensive, a rental will answer the 4 or 5 foot question. They come in forward rotation (trying to push you forward) and rearward rotation (pulling you backward). the rear rotation is harder to pull, wants more HP. Rent forward rotation if they have it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm I have similar tractor and thinking, heck, rent it for the day, or say 4hrs, to try it. If it works, great, rent it longer ! The 'trick' is to go sloooooow and chew up the soil to get the tiller down into the ground. After the area has been tilled( say north-south), do it again, this time east-west. This ensures the soil is well broken up and consistant texture.
I've got a 5' tiller on my D-14 and it does a GREAT job, but 35HP at the PTO. Even them 1st pass on 'soddy' soil it told you this is hard !

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I run a 42" Kubota tiller on my B6200. I make 2-3 passes depending on how dry the ground is. There is no point in beating up a tractor to save time IMO.

fransser

Jul 30, 2019
Sedgwick
OK. Thanks for the input. As it turns out, I ran onto a used land pride 42" tiller for sale on craigs list. I probably could have just rented the larger tiller but this one is much more suited to my tractors size and weight limits. Now time to start tilling.

Reactions: 1 user