Can I install a BH77 Backhoe myself?

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
Purchased a 2012 L3800 w/FEL last week. I am putting a new BH77 on it. How daunting will this be? I am purchasing the BH77 and the subframe kit.

What issues do y'all see with doing this myself?

Or should I have the dealer do it?

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Yes, you can probably do it. Helps to have a pretty well equipped shop or garage, jacks & jack stands, tools galore, heating/air conditioning, and a willing, patient helper, probably for hours. The rule is, "It's NEVER easy!"
I'd really consider letting them do it. They have all of the above plus any special tricks or jigs. And they have done it before. Just MHO.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
I'd let them put it on. They do all the plumbing, put it together, and then you can have the easy part- unhooking and putting it back on. If it goes wrong, it's their doing and covered under warranty. Consider this, you just bought a brand new tractor will a dealer installed fel. Your probably looking at 8-10 hours of shop labor( under$1000). I'd let them do it.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks for the sanity check fellas . . Approximately $7600 installed with a $67.00 tractor pickup and delivery charge . . I'll let them do it.
Very good decision on your part !!!

Welcome to OTT. :D

hill5673

Equipment
L3200 HST with FEL
May 17, 2014
CNY
Thanks for the sanity check fellas . . Approximately $7600 installed with a $67.00 tractor pickup and delivery charge . . I'll let them do it.
I am curious as to how you made out and which dealer you use.
I am also in CNY and just picked up my L3200 yesterday from Whites. They offered me the BH77 for $7000 if I install or around $7600 if they do it.

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
I am curious as to how you made out and which dealer you use.
I am also in CNY and just picked up my L3200 yesterday from Whites. They offered me the BH77 for $7000 if I install or around $7600 if they do it.
I had White's Farm Supply in Canastota put the bBH77 on a couple weeks ago. John Murray was my salesman and he has been great. He honored the package price for the backhoe that was quoted in January for the L3800HST w/FEL and BH77. This is ~after~ I backed out of the deal for the new one when I found a 2012 L3800HST w/FEL at the local Kioti dealer that only had 11 hours on it. Plus he threw in 2 gallons of Super UDT2 (the tech who installed the backhoe did not purge the system completely, realized this when the tractor was brought back there was no fluid evident in the site glass), a couple cans of Kubota orange and grey spray paint AND installed the 3" Bro-Tech wheel spacers at no extra charge.

Overall I have been very happy with the Canastota location.

Where are you? I am in Vernon Center and also have a 54 acre property in Waterville . .

Last edited:

hill5673

Equipment
L3200 HST with FEL
May 17, 2014
CNY
I am in Bridgeport/Kirkville. About 10-15 miles west of White's. I had a good experience purchasing the tractor there and I know from others that they have great service. More than likely I will have them install the backhoe.
I can not wait to have it put on. I already have at least a hundred things that I want to do with it. :)

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
I am in Bridgeport/Kirkville. About 10-15 miles west of White's. I had a good experience purchasing the tractor there and I know from others that they have great service. More than likely I will have them install the backhoe.
I can not wait to have it put on. I already have at least a hundred things that I want to do with it. :)
You will not be disappointed in the BH77. I popped a couple 8" - 10" cedar stumps out of the ground with it last week . The backhoe bucket curl function was strong enough to pull the tractor backwards until I set the outriggers a little firmer and set the edge of the FEL into the turf. I was impressed. The BH77 is stronger than I expected.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Boy it sounds like you have a good dealer there,, TALK THEM UP BIG TIME a good dealer is worth their weight in gold when things get ugly