Can I change wheels ?

lucweg

Equipment
L1-24 Sunshine, rototiller RL1401 (?), plow, cultivator, flail cutter
Aug 27, 2013
Belgium
Hello,

I have a Kubota L1-24DT.
The dimensions of the tires are front 7-16 and rear 11,2-24.
Can I replace those tires by 9,5-16 and 13,6-28 ?
What will be the consequences : speed, plough, ...

Thanks
Luc

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hello,

I have a Kubota L1-24DT.
The dimensions of the tires are front 7-16 and rear 11,2-24.
Can I replace those tires by 9,5-16 and 13,6-28 ?
What will be the consequences : speed, plough, ...

Thanks
Luc
2WD pretty easy to do.

4WD you need to make sure the rear/front diameter ratio remains the same between old and new.

Larger diameter tires will increase speed but may result in less turning power to the wheels.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since you have a 4WD tractor you have to get the rolling circumference of the front and rear fairly close to the original wheels and tires. The reason has to do with the gearing in the drive system and the front wheels probably turn a little faster than the rear wheels when in 4WD. Get the ratio too far off and you’re going to have binding issues in the gears on surfaces where the tires can’t slip.

Look at tractor data dot com and see if the provide the original tire size and verify that is what you have and go from there and see if you can get rolling circumference data on old and proposed new tires.

I think there is some allowable variation but I don’t know how much.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Since you have a 4WD tractor you have to get the rolling circumference of the front and rear fairly close to the original wheels and tires. The reason has to do with the gearing in the drive system and the front wheels probably turn a little faster than the rear wheels when in 4WD. Get the ratio too far off and you’re going to have binding issues in the gears on surfaces where the tires can’t slip.

Look at tractor data dot com and see if the provide the original tire size and verify that is what you have and go from there and see if you can get rolling circumference data on old and proposed new tires.

I think there is some allowable variation but I don’t know how much.
To illustrate that binding.... Not a tractor....but my Jeep Cherokee.... I had about 10K miles on a new set of tires and damaged the front two tires by running over nails. The point (sorry for that pun) is that the new replacement tires had only 10K miles less than the rear drive-wheels did.
When I placed it in 4WD ...it behaved as if the parking brake was “on”. IE, when I removed my foot from the accelerator...the vehicle would not “coast” ...but instead had noticeable deceleration coming to a stop, causing me to double-check that my parking brake was not engaged. When I determined it was not engaged, I shifted suspicion to dragging front-calipers.
Nope. It was the slightly larger circumference of the new front tires... UN-measureable with a tape measure.... but when identical new tires were installed on the rears.... the problem disappeared completely.
(Thank you Discount Tire for covering all four under warranty.)

lucweg

Equipment
L1-24 Sunshine, rototiller RL1401 (?), plow, cultivator, flail cutter
Aug 27, 2013
Belgium
To illustrate that binding.... Not a tractor....but my Jeep Cherokee.... I had about 10K miles on a new set of tires and damaged the front two tires by running over nails. The point (sorry for that pun) is that the new replacement tires had only 10K miles less than the rear drive-wheels did.
When I placed it in 4WD ...it behaved as if the parking brake was “on”. IE, when I removed my foot from the accelerator...the vehicle would not “coast” ...but instead had noticeable deceleration coming to a stop, causing me to double-check that my parking brake was not engaged. When I determined it was not engaged, I shifted suspicion to dragging front-calipers.
Nope. It was the slightly larger circumference of the new front tires... UN-measureable with a tape measure.... but when identical new tires were installed on the rears.... the problem disappeared completely.
(Thank you Discount Tire for covering all four under warranty.)
Thanks to everybody for the useful answers ! I will check it very well before replacing the wheels !