Calling Someca K28 mower owners...

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
I was given a K28 hay mower recently and from the little work I've done with it, it works well, looks mostly in original condition. It's a 4 disc 3 ph mounted job, about 5' cutting width, from the 70's.
Rear view.png

One thing I need help with: what the oil level should be in the gearbox. According to the manual (thank Google translate) the OEM filler plug also had the dipstick, but the non-original plug on my machine has no dipstick.
Here's a cross-section of the gearbox in case anyone wants to hazard a guess at the correct max and min oil levels:
Cross section 1 through gearbox.png

I'd appreciate if someone happens to have one of these machines, please let me know.

(Someca was bought out by Fiat, and then absorbed. I phoned a couple of CNH dealers and neither were able to help, this machine is ancient history, part numbers mean nothing to their system :) )

Thanks!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Is there a breather vent on the gearbox? If so make sure to keep it clean. I would think from the drawing that you would want to be just above the shaft #14. This would leave some room for the oil to expand as it gets hot.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Is there a breather vent on the gearbox? If so make sure to keep it clean. I would think from the drawing that you would want to be just above the shaft #14. This would leave some room for the oil to expand as it gets hot.
Thanks for replying BigG. Interesting point, no I can't see a breather or remote piped breather and no reference to a breather in the ops or parts manuals. After reading your comments I wondered if the breather had been integral with the filler cap. The previous owner (who replaced the original cap with this one) doesn't recall a breather.

The manual says that the system can operate at up to a 25 degrees angle (outboard end higher than inboard) so under those circumstances the gearbox would be fully flooded, so if there was a breather at the gearbox end I guess it would leak as pressure built up while running.