Calling all Canadians.

saskydude

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH70, HLA 1500, K54-22-06. PFL-1242
Nov 23, 2020
Saskatchewan, Canada
Have any of you fine people bought an EA 55" Wicked Grapple? What did it cost in Customs Brokerage fees to cross the border? Travis didn't know and I emailed his preferred shipping company and they said they didn't know or didn't care enough to find out.

***Update Sept. 15\22*** Ordered in May and has now cleared customs and is in Canada. All fees included (SK tax, duty, broker). The cost is $447.69 to bring a Wicked 55 across the border.

Last edited:

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I wish I had better than ‘I think’, but if it’s made in usa, then I think, you’d pay the GST/HST. Or, there are companies that deal with doing larger cross border purchases. Near me, guys will do a big purchase of building supplies from Menards, but it seems they have to hire an outfit to do the paperwork at the border. UPS will gladly do it for a massive fee on small boxes. Canada post bless their hearts only dings us every now and then it seems.
Let us know how you make out!

saskydude

Equipment
Nov 23, 2020
Saskatchewan, Canada
Travis uses a freight company so no UPS, thankfully. I would be picking it up at it's closest terminal which is 90 minutes away. No duty due to American made and of course the government get it's cut. The only unknown is the customs paperwork...could be deal breaker on whether I order or not.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Travis uses a freight company so no UPS, thankfully. I would be picking it up at it's closest terminal which is 90 minutes away. No duty due to American made and of course the government get it's cut. The only unknown is the customs paperwork...could be deal breaker on whether I order or not.
I would contact customs. Shouldn't be too bad.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You actually don't need a 'broker' ,YOU can fill in the paperwork yourself. Has to be easier now that the Internet is here. In a nutshell, you figure out what 'commodity number' the item is ( say 'farm machinery,attaches to tractor, 3' wide ). The commodity number determines what the tarriff rate will be(guv cut). at the same time , pretty sure you'll have to pay GST (13% for me...). Odds are good you can do ALL this online. Once paid for, Customs will release the package to you at their warehouse. You can probably name an 'agent' ( the shipper that will deliver the package to you), so he can get it. Also 'somewhere on the form' put in it's a 'one time ' purchase, otherwise they(guv( might want you to register as an imported of goods....
A friend who ran a hobbyshop for decades saved 1000s every few months being his own broker

google 'importing goods to canada fees CSBA ? or'something'. Once you get to 'customs ' webite the info will be there. They WILL store the item until all the 'paperwork' is done and paid for...used to be 90 days , I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
The 10% is based on the U.S. dollar value converted to Canadian $$$$'s so you get dinged on the exchange rate. Plus you will have to pay a fee to the broker for handling.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My experience is to look for a Canadian Freight Forwarder (Logistics) who will find the best company to move the implement + look after customs etc.

Because all the paper work is ON line, the forwarder can be located anywhere.

It is hard to do the customs stuff yourself because the government customs people only let licensed people have access to their on line systems.

Freight

Dave

saskydude

Equipment
Nov 23, 2020
Saskatchewan, Canada
My experience is to look for a Canadian Freight Forwarder
Travis from EA is the one shipping the grapple. I have nothing to do with that. It would arrive in a city 90 minutes from me for a very reasonable price. I contacted the shipping company and was emailing the person who is the customs person and she claimed to have no clue what I'd be charged. I have a feeling she just couldn't be bothered to find out. That's why I posted here to see if someone actually knows the approximate cost.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Travis from EA is the one shipping the grapple. I have nothing to do with that. It would arrive in a city 90 minutes from me for a very reasonable price. I contacted the shipping company and was emailing the person who is the customs person and she claimed to have no clue what I'd be charged. I have a feeling she just couldn't be bothered to find out. That's why I posted here to see if someone actually knows the approximate cost.
This may be off the wall, but seeing that the Canadian market should be a great opportunity for EA, it would seem like they should make an effort to understand what is involved with shipping their products to Canada, out of self interest, if nothing else.

Now maybe they are small enough, or whatever, not to be concerned about selling to Canada, don't know.

Have you considered calling them and asking if they have any insight? Maybe that would be a dead end...

I would like to think that if I were running a company like EA, that I would do everything I could to open the market north of the border to my products. It would be in their best interests to know the answers if they want to keep growing their business.

Just a thought.

saskydude

Equipment
Nov 23, 2020
Saskatchewan, Canada
Have you considered calling them and asking if they have any insight?
I haven't called, but Travis and I exchanged a few emails on the subject. He provided me the name of his shipper he uses who I reached out to, with no success. I don't think the market is very large in Canada but maybe some day he'll look into a Canadian distributor.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My point, perhaps not well explained, is that freight forwarders can be a big help. For example, we bought a large order of floating dock components.

The manufacturer would have arranged the shipping as they do for most of their orders but the freight forwarder found a trucker who was coming home empty and was happy to earn enough to pay for his fuel which was a lot less than "normal" shipping.

Dave

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I haven't called, but Travis and I exchanged a few emails on the subject. He provided me the name of his shipper he uses who I reached out to, with no success. I don't think the market is very large in Canada but maybe some day he'll look into a Canadian distributor.

I believe the bigger dilemma for them is the exchange rate. When we pay their price using Canadian $$$$'s it is not such a bargain for us especially when you include all of the add-on costs to land it here. Scheer economics disparity short and sweet.