Cable Tie Holder

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
For years I have had several bags of cable ties of varying sizes hanging on the back of my toolbox. It was always a pain to dig a few out of the bags without the hook that they hung from ending up on the floor.
Sooo, I drew up a six tubed holder in Tinkercad and 3D printed it and a hook that will hang it off the back of the toolbox. Actually, this is the second one I printed, as the first one really wasn't large enough to hold a decent number of cable ties.
The tubes are 50mm(2") in diameter, and 100mm(4"), 150mm(6") and 200mm(8") tall.
A great improvement.

Cable Tie Holder #1 (Custom).jpg
Cable Tie Holder #2 (Custom).jpg

Reactions: 4 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Nice job! I usually wrap one tie around a fistful and then throw it in my tool box.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Looks like some schedule 30 or some kind of thin walled PVC would work great for something like that. I might make something, but I don't have a printer (yet).

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I leave mine in the bags and pegboard hook them similar to what you show on the right there.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I like to store them around someones drive shaft

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Looks like some schedule 30 or some kind of thin walled PVC would work great for something like that. I might make something, but I don't have a printer (yet).
I had thought about making it from PVC pipe, but the only sizes I had on hand were 1", too small, or 4", way too big. Took the 3D printer 22 hours to print it, and used almost half a spool of PLA filament, but it's just the size I wanted.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Curious why the attachment clip was made separate from the tubes?

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
The way a 3d printer prints it's way stronger in that orientation, plus then there aren't any overhangs, which 3d printers don't really like.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@dlsmith, great job! What printer are you using? I sure miss having access to a 3D printer. I used to have a Dimension 1200es at my previous job and could print up anything I wanted since I was the only one using it. Now I have access to much better and more expensive printers, some that print in metal, but they're 2,000 miles away and it's kind of a challenge getting the parts back.

I will add that you could have made the bracket a lot thinner by adding gussets and save on material and time but maybe you printed it on the low density setting.

My wish list includes a lathe, a mill and a 3D printer.

bmblank

Equipment
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
That's the exact printer I had at my old job also. I didn't like how un-customizable it was, how expensive the material was... But it sure was hard to screw something up.
We also ended up getting an objet printer, which was awesome, too.
If I get a printer I think it's going to be an SLA printer. My brother has an FDM printer i'm sure he'd print something out for me if I needed it...

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Don't over think the problem. Just use old water bottles. Screw the lid off and get one out. Put the lid back on. They don't spill and can be stored anywhere.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Russell King said:
Curious why the attachment clip was made separate from the tubes?
The way a 3d printer prints it's way stronger in that orientation, plus then there aren't any overhangs, which 3d printers don't really like.
bmpblank is right. To print the hanger on the holder, it woulld have had to build support material all the way from the bed up where the hook starts. So I printed the hook on its side which gives it the greatest strength and attached it with a couple of wood screws.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
@dlsmith, great job! What printer are you using? I sure miss having access to a 3D printer. I used to have a Dimension 1200es at my previous job and could print up anything I wanted since I was the only one using it. Now I have access to much better and more expensive printers, some that print in metal, but they're 2,000 miles away and it's kind of a challenge getting the parts back.

I will add that you could have made the bracket a lot thinner by adding gussets and save on material and time but maybe you printed it on the low density setting.

My wish list includes a lathe, a mill and a 3D printer.
The bracket was printed at 20% infill with 3 layers on all sides.

I have a lathe and 3D printer, and a mill is on my short list after I sell my plane.

I'm using a HyperCube EVO that I built from scratch. I sized it so that I have a build volume of 300mm³(~12in³). Did lots of extra tweaks and add-ons, and now it just does what ever I want, within it's limitations. I used a Duet3D board with a 7 inch touch screen and an ethernet port so I can send jobs to it and monitor the progress from any of my computers, phone or tablet. I also added two RaspberryPi cameras that are also connected to my network, so I can watch the printer from any of the same devices, and an extra module that automatically shuts the printer down at the end of the print job.

IMG_20201113_004118617.jpg
IMG_20201113_004133598.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm using a HyperCube EVO that I built from scratch. I sized it so that I have a build volume of 300mm³(~12in³). Did lots of extra tweaks and add-ons, and now it just does what ever I want, within it's limitations. I used a Duet3D board with a 7 inch touch screen and an ethernet port so I can send jobs to it and monitor the progress from any of my computers, phone or tablet. I also added two RaspberryPi cameras that are also connected to my network, so I can watch the printer from any of the same devices, and an extra module that automatically shuts the printer down at the end of the print job.

View attachment 60209 View attachment 60210
Good grief! Impressive is too small a word for this! (y)

bmblank

Equipment
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
The bracket was printed at 20% infill with 3 layers on all sides.

I have a lathe and 3D printer, and a mill is on my short list after I sell my plane.

View attachment 60209 View attachment 60210
Noice!
It looks like the bed goes vertical and the head is on a gantry that does X and Y, is that right? It seems almost all printers have the bed doing the y direction and the head doing X and Z. I guess that just makes for a more compact printer, but it seems like it introduces other problems, particularly when you have bed adhesion problems.

What's your print volume in that thing? Looks considerable.
edit: nevermind, just realized I'm bad at reading.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Noice!
It looks like the bed goes vertical and the head is on a gantry that does X and Y, is that right? It seems almost all printers have the bed doing the y direction and the head doing X and Z. I guess that just makes for a more compact printer, but it seems like it introduces other problems, particularly when you have bed adhesion problems.
Thanks.
Yes, the extruder head moves in the X and Y axes, and the bed in the Z axis.
The machines that move the bed in the Y axis, like the Prusa, Ender3 and their clones are very popular, but due to the travel of the bed, for a given Y dimension, they require more table space since they move the bed forward and back. They can require almost double the Y axis dimension.
The interesting thing about mine is how quiet it it. My other printer, a QiDiTech1, makes a lot more noise, primarily from the stepper motors than the HyperCube does. Other than the fans in the PSU and electronics enclosure, it makes almost no noise at all.
A friend was over yesterday and saw my cable tie holder, so I have to make one for him too.