C.A.V. Injection Pump Overheating????

BeamsRepair707

May 20, 2020
Napa, California
Hey guys, on my m7030 it is running for a bit say 20 to 30 minutes at a higher rpm's with a little bit of a load.... all of sudden it shuts off.

It does not start right back up. At injectors 1 and 2, good fuel flow, 3 and 4 have a bit of air bubbles spitting out. Because of this random shut down I went through entire fuel system and put in new sediment glass bowl and seals, new fuel filter and seals, new left pump and blew out fuel lines from sediment bowl to the injectors.

When it does shut down I have noticed the C.A.V. injection pump is hot and the the fuel filter is also hot to the touch. Do these pumps have an overheating safety circuit? Is the injection pump getting hot because it has internal mechanical issues?

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
No theres no safety switch in the inj. pump.. If u have safety switches on your machine, the inj. pump has a shut off solenoid that trips & shuts the fuel off..
The pump is a slave to the sfety switches.. but not all cav dpa pumps have a shut off solenoid..
Does your machine shut off w/ the key switch.?? if yes, u have a shut off sol. screwed into the head on the inj. pump..
IF u shut it off w a cable, then u dont have a shut off solenoid on the pump..
The solenoids DO go bad & will randomly shut the fuel off..
Get the pump # off the tag & I'll give u the P# of the solenoid u need.. IF u wanna replace it of course.. {pump # ex. 3233f651}

BeamsRepair707

May 20, 2020
Napa, California
No theres no safety switch in the inj. pump.. If u have safety switches on your machine, the inj. pump has a shut off solenoid that trips & shuts the fuel off..
The pump is a slave to the sfety switches.. but not all cav dpa pumps have a shut off solenoid..
Does your machine shut off w/ the key switch.?? if yes, u have a shut off sol. screwed into the head on the inj. pump..
IF u shut it off w a cable, then u dont have a shut off solenoid on the pump..
The solenoids DO go bad & will randomly shut the fuel off..
Get the pump # off the tag & I'll give u the P# of the solenoid u need.. IF u wanna replace it of course.. {pump # ex. 3233f651}

Yes, this one has a shutoff solenoid on the pump head.
Pump # is 3942f532

BeamsRepair707

May 20, 2020
Napa, California
Update...

Installed new shutoff solenoid. No issues thus far.
Just in case though and just a thought... is it possible for the shaft of drive gear for the fuel pump to loosen and not activate the fuel pump?
Looking at the parts diagram, looks as if the driveshaft is a taperlock on the gear, is this correct?

BeamsRepair707

May 20, 2020
Napa, California
The shaft n gear are keyed
Okay here is the latest update, installed a new OEM fuel shut-off solenoid on the CAV pump. Again, Kubota runs for a 20-30 minutes and just shuts off. It does not start right up either. It acts like it is sucking air because you have to bleed the fuel lines.

Checked and double checked for fuel leaks. Fuel is being sucked to the sediment bowl from the tank but it seems as if the mechanical fuel pump just gives out somehow and not pushing fuel to the CAV pump and it runs until CAV pump runs dry. Any other suggestions?

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
U can eliminate the sol. by running a "hot wire" straight from the battery to the solenoid..
THAT will eliminate anything interfering w the sol. telling it to shut off..{other than a defective sol.}
Why not change the lift/supply pump.?? I think they're only 30-40 bucks..
Does it chug chug chug to a stop of does it stop like u turned the key switch.?
Is it possible theres floater in the fuel tank.?? & only after drawing the fuel level down a smidge, it covers the outlet.. THEN the supply pump is STILL doing its job but theres no fuel to be had..
U could drain the fuel out of the tank & watch the flow for several gallons.. checking to MAKE SURE it doesnt slow down..{floaters}
Good luck.