BXpanded Bucket Hooks vs. Welded Hooks

TJBG

Equipment
BX25D
May 4, 2015
Battle Ground, WA
Looking for opinions on adding the BXpanded hooks to a BX25D versus welding them on. Any feedback would be appreciated with regard to:

-Ease of installation
-Durability
-Capability (lifting capacity/recommendations for use, etc)
-Recommendations on hook size (5/16 vs. 3/8)
-Pros/cons to welded hooks versus BXpanded hooks
-What configuration would be best (they are sold in combinations of grip and slip hooks, sets of 2 or 3 hooks)

Thanks!

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
I don't have a picture of them directly, but you can see Bolt on Hooks on the loader;

I really like my them. Have had no problem and have lifted a couple of pretty good loads. Don't see any need to have welded hooks. (I do have a pair welded onto my older Kubota and they have been fine as well).

I do like the idea of mounting them where the loader attached to the bucket. The metal is thicker there. One recommendation that he makes on the installation video is to use the bullet point bits. DANG they worked great. Drilled a lot of holes (mounted several hooks on 2 different tractors). Still sharp and ready to go.

Doc

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking for opinions on adding the BXpanded hooks to a BX25D versus welding them on. Any feedback would be appreciated with regard to:

-Ease of installation
-Durability
-Capability (lifting capacity/recommendations for use, etc)
-Recommendations on hook size (5/16 vs. 3/8)
-Pros/cons to welded hooks versus BXpanded hooks
-What configuration would be best (they are sold in combinations of grip and slip hooks, sets of 2 or 3 hooks)

Thanks!
I like the BXpanded hooks - I think they are a great idea, but I didnt want to spend the bucks.....
\
I didnt want to weld on the bucket either, so I took plate steel and welded the hooks to IT and then bolted with grade 8 bolts......I have pulled heavy logs out of the creek - works like a charm and I think my total bill was about 10 bucks!

Attachments

TJBG

Equipment
BX25D
May 4, 2015
Battle Ground, WA
Thanks I will measure it today using your recommended method with the framing square and then place an order tomorrow. I like the idea of bolting something on rather than welding it (especially on a subcompact like this) and I think they look better than the BXpanded hooks, too. Will be in touch.

Martywoodburner

Equipment
BX 2670-1, 60 MMM, FEL, Back Blade, Front mount Snowblower
Apr 17, 2015
Kirtland Hills, OH
I got the ones from Bxpanded and have found them to be very well designed. One thing I really like about them is that I can position them any place along the bucket at any time and not worry about drilling any holes in the bucket.

Hope this helps.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I got the ones from Bxpanded and have found them to be very well designed. One thing I really like about them is that I can position them any place along the bucket at any time and not worry about drilling any holes in the bucket.

Hope this helps.
Can you show a photo of just the hook assembly?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Bolting vs welding. That's an interesting subject. If you are a crummy welder, maybe bolting is OK. However, with welding you can place hooks any place, any orientation. Apply a coat of paint and it looks like it came from the factory that way. Why worry about changing the bucket appearance? If you will look at what the bucket looks like in 5 or 10 years, then you may worry about other things now such as convenience of doing different jobs through the years.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have been using the bxpanded ones as I wanted to be able to move them where it was convenient. I have moved them a couple times, when I was pulling T posts with the bucket, then while moving some cumbersome bulky tools by myself. Haven't had a problem with their strength.