BX5455HD (or other) snowblower SKID loader question

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
So, there are 2 mounting holes on the side frame and 4 sets of slots on the skids to mount the skids forward or rearward. I have mine in the middle…what would be the pros/cons of running them more forward or more rearward? Also, when snowblowing off road (on grass) for walking paths, I find the skids want to track straight and resist turning. No problem as I just back up a bit and point it where I want to go then it’s fine until I need to turn again.
First time using front mount blower so is there any way to counter this or is it normal? Would moving the skids makes difference?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: skid position. more forward, less weight on cutting bar ?
re: turning, ground isn't froze yet ?? valve in 'float' position ??
skids all way back 'might' make turning easier,though blower is so far ahead of front wheels, you can't turn sharp anyway..

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Ground is frozen, loader valve in float mode. Gradual turns…(think sweeping curves on a path)
I was looking for answers from someone that has experienced similar front snowblower attributes. Thanks!

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Using a front snow blower for 30 yrs or so. On walking paths with grass I'll keep the blower off the ground a inch or so. Living in cold climate I'll try and drag areas where ever I blow snow first to give it a base for the skids to slide on once it freezes. If the skids dig in at all it's going to make it hard to turn [front of tractor will just slide. Lifting the blower up a little bit will allow the tractor to turn. I always like having a packed surface to blow on to keep rocks [gravel driveway] etc: from getting thrown.

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Thank you! Feeling my way through it…today, on my “established” path from last week, it went easier and actually steered better but I still had to back up and re-aim a few times for the curves. All in all, much better than walking behind a snow blower!

Reactions: 1 user