BX5450 Snowthrower (w/pics)

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Took almost a month, but I finally got the BX5450 and front quick-hitch I ordered when I bought my new BX25D.

Picked it up from the dealer, and unloaded it from my trailer with the FEL:

Stripped off the FEL and BH to get the tractor ready for the front quick-hitch:

The box the quick-hitch came in had clearly been opened, and the parts bag was cut open, but amazingly, everything was in there. It looks like the dealer must have raided it for parts at some point, but ordered replacements for anything used, and made sure it was "complete" again (some of the parts were in separate bags with individual hand-written part no's). Kudos to them for that.

Some notes for other folks assembling the quick hitch and attaching to tractor:

1) At one point it says to install the nylon pins into the t-bolts after pushing through the hole in the hitch assembly. This is easier said than done. The nylon pins are clearly just cut from a big long piece with a pair of nippers, so they get pinched/deformed at the end. I pointed mine a bit with a file before tapping them in. Without doing that, mine wouldn't go in.

2) You need something to seal the threads for the hydraulic lines. I used teflon tape, and made sure there was none protruding past the threads to avoid any bits ending up in the lines. I made them no tighter than I would fittings for an air compressor, and I have no leaks.

3) This one is obvious when you're assembling it, but can be overlooked when just ordering stuff. All the hydraulics (the lines, cylinder, etc.) will need to FILL with fluid when first attached to your tractor. You will need more HST oil to replace what is lost when this is connected and "filled up" from your reservoir. I was lucky and happened to have some on hand that I had ordered ahead of time for my 50-hr service.

4) The color coding is completely wrong. They provide red and blue plastic rings to put on the hoses but don't bother telling you which gets which color. No worry, because red and blue aren't even the right colors. When connecting to the red/blue quick connects for the FEL, the RPM's would just drop when I activated the valve. When I switched to the white and yellow quick connects, it came to life as expected. Just keep cycling the valves until all the air is purged. The CORRECT connection is from the top of the cylinder to the white quick-connect loader valve, and from the bottom of the cylinder to the yellow quick-connect loader valve.

Once I got the quick hitch assembled and mounted onto the tractor, I moved onto the BX5450:

Assembly was fairly easy, but I encountered the following issues:

1) They provide a vertical riser to hold the manual chute rotator that mounts to the floor under an existing bolt, and through a hole right next to it covered with a tape dot, but the hole wasn't quite lined up with the cast aluminum piece underneath and it was a !@#$% to line it up and get the nut on the bottom. Very little room the way that cast aluminum piece is made underneath. You're also bolting a piece of painted steel right onto the nice painted floor surface. If you ever take it off, no doubt it'll look like hell from vibration, etc. I added a thin piece of rubber between the two surfaces to prevent this. All in all, this looks a lot better then the old hokey setup where a bracket attached to the loader valve bracket itself.

2) The shoe for the snowthrower was a *REALLY* tight fit on the male part of my quick-hitch. I had to raise the blower in the air and rock it down repeatedly until I could close the handle on the hitch, and it was still very hard to close the handle. I'm guessing these surfaces probably loosen up a bit with some wear.

3) The design of how the chute mounts to the body is downright terrible. It certainly *looks* a lot beefier of a mounting method than the pics I've seen of the 2750's, but it's just very poorly executed. I've seen this mentioned in another thread as well, but I couldn't find it again when I looked for it. (EDIT: found it, here: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16380&page=4 about 1/2 of the way down)

Here's an exploded view of the chute assembly:

There's a rotation bushing (11) that first gets placed onto the steel body of the blower. Next, you set the chute (1) down on top of the bushing. This is where the trouble starts. The diameter of the inner ring on the bushing is much narrower then the inside diameter of the chute. Before even fastening anything, you can tell the bushing is going to let the chute move horizontally at least 5/32". Next, you attach the retaining brackets (12) over the chute, with the shims (16) under the mounting portion of the retaining brackets. Unfortunately. the shims are much thicker than the combined thickness of the rotation bushing and the rim of the chute, so there's vertical play as well. Probably almost a full quarter inch of vertical play. .

This means when you attach the chute rotator, and hold the rotator as close to the chute as it will go before tightening the bolts (which is what the instructions say to do), it lifts the chute when trying to rotate and binds almost every time. By instead tighting the chute rotator as far away from the chute as possible, it works most of the time, but still binds occasionally.

There's tons of slop in the whole setup, and when blowing snow you can actually see the chute shuddering about in every direction.

I think, at a minimum, the bushing is the wrong size, or the shims are the wrong size.

I've been in contact with Claire from RadTech (who actually makes these units for Kubota), and she seemed unaware of the issue. I made the following quick vid to try and illustrate the problem for their support:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNS6QkgGRLQ

I'm still waiting to hear back from them for an education on assembly (if I'm doing it wrong), or a fix.

4) Lastly, when I lift the unit with the loader valve, the left side comes off the ground over an inch before the right side comes up (on level ground). I'm not sure what's causing this yet, but it's problematic since it's nice to be able to lift the blower slightly when clearing in certain situations, and still clear "evenly". I've watched numerous youtube videos of the previous gen blower (2750), and they all appear to lift and drop evenly. I don't know if something on the housing is crooked, or what. I'll take some measurements tonight.

All-in-all, it seems like a nice unit. Overall build quality is very good, and the construction of the shoes and scraper bar look like they'll provide a good bit of use before replacement is needed. If I can get the chute and level issues sorted, I'm very happy with it.

Here are the full specs for the BX5450 from the manual:

Last edited:

Patrick BX

Equipment
BX2660 w/ LA243 Loader and RCK60B23BX
Nov 13, 2014
Midland, MI
Excellent timing as I go pick up my new quick attach at the dealer on Saturday. I am just going to run a blade for the rest of this winter and watch for a deal on a blower in the off season. Great information.

Stan Wetmore

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, and loader and front snowblower
Jan 17, 2013
Saint John, NB Canada
I have a BX1860 with a BX2750d blower. It looks very similar to your except it has a hydraulic chute rotation and I added an electric hood actuator. It has a lot of play in it as well. Maybe not quite as much as yours but if it was real tight it would freeze. It has frozen on me and would not turn so all you do is shake it and it moves enough to break the ice. I also keep it well greased.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I got my new 5450 about a month ago and don't have the problems you've encountered, interesting.
Put some grease on top & bottom sides of contact points on male quick hitch and blower slides right on.

Don't forget to grease the square drive shaft on quick hitch also.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Great post and very nice machine! I watched your video a few times over and I agree, that seems like too much play in the whole setup. Had a 36" Ariens that had a lot of play and eventually wore down the worm gear and sprocket. My Loftness has some play, like everyone already said they need some play, but not as much as that. Especially if it's chattering like crazy....:confused:

One thing that caught my eye in your last picture is the horizontal angle the worm is sitting on. I would think that it would need to be on a level playing field with the sprocket. That may be why your getting that lifting motion. Maybe missing a shim, or I would at least shim it up with some washers and give it a try if it was me. My hand crank was thew same style worm, smaller in length, set at 30 deg angle, but was cone shaped. Worked really smooth...

FYI, Teflon and Oil are a no no for anything. Use any pipe thread sealant that does not contain Teflon/PTFE and that says it can be used with oil on the back of the can. I and others on here prefer Permatex for oil applications, never use Teflon. Even if you take extra care applying it, the threads will cut small pieces off of it. It's main focus is to beef up threads or fill in voids within he thread. It works better with pipe dope overall in my opinion and we combine it with pipe dope 99% of the time, just not Teflon.

Pipe thread sealant acts more as a lube to obtain a tighter fit. The sealing properties of it is an added advantage ;)

Let us know how it works out for you!

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
No such play in the setup I have ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422536746.989042.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Thank you all for your replies.

I heard back from RAD, and they suggested "having the dealer order (12) x 77700-01777" to replace the (3) stock shims. Apparently those shims are 1/16th of an inch each, and you stack them until you have a good fit.

I let the dealer know, but I think I'm going to just try fabricating my own shims out of urethane or something similar that also comes forward from the mounting points to provide a "limit" on the horizontal movement of the chute as well, and just keep it greased.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
NetMagi, I opted for the older BX2750D snowblower. Probably bought the last one since these new models are coming out:D

Is there a part # in the manual for that vertical riser. That hokey setup I have I don't like. Also I watched your video and there is too much play for the chute. Hope those smaller shims do the trick. I checked mine, a little different setup but just a little play, not like yours.

Since I have only used it twice, I like it. I have a gravel drive and the snowblower has and probably never touch the ground, until it rests. On round 2, I found on hand a 1 1/4" pvc tube. Slit it and put it over the cutting edge. Worked better than the first time. Since the blower is slightly raised, it helped roll gravel underneath and smash any remaining snow, smoothing out a path leaving only snow to blow.

Leyland

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 31, 2014
Southwestern Ontario
Thats a very nice blower, your going to love it. Slow and steady and this thing will blow through anything.

We had over a foot of fluffy stuff last night, drifts over 2' deep. My 25D with BX2750 blower threw snow farther than I expected:D

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
NetMagi, I opted for the older BX2750D snowblower. Probably bought the last one since these new models are coming out:D

Is there a part # in the manual for that vertical riser. That hokey setup I have I don't like. Also I watched your video and there is too much play for the chute. Hope those smaller shims do the trick. I checked mine, a little different setup but just a little play, not like yours.

Since I have only used it twice, I like it. I have a gravel drive and the snowblower has and probably never touch the ground, until it rests. On round 2, I found on hand a 1 1/4" pvc tube. Slit it and put it over the cutting edge. Worked better than the first time. Since the blower is slightly raised, it helped roll gravel underneath and smash any remaining snow, smoothing out a path leaving only snow to blow.
Finally got around to getting those part #'s from the book for you:

If anyone is looking for the better bracket setup for a "B", (parts 21-26) let me know. I'd be willing to sell mine.

Mberna6

Equipment
BX25D
May 22, 2017
MA, USA
Hi All. Just picked up a used BX5450 snowblower and notice a small hole in the bottom rear of the impeller housing. I'm hoping this is a designed weep hole to allow drainage and not corrosion. There is rust in the impeller housing but it does not seem severe or unusual for a used attachment. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hi All. Just picked up a used BX5450 snowblower and notice a small hole in the bottom rear of the impeller housing. I'm hoping this is a designed weep hole to allow drainage and not corrosion. There is rust in the impeller housing but it does not seem severe or unusual for a used attachment. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Will have to check mine. I have zero corrosion on mine. I have plenty of exposed metal in my impeller housing, but I spray it with silicone spray at the beginning and end of the season, and I store it inside. I realize most people probably don't store their implements inside, so I would expect some rust to be normal. The gauge of the housing is sufficiently thick that if it's not deeply pitted, it's probably fine.

Mberna6

Equipment
BX25D
May 22, 2017
MA, USA
Great. I'd appreciate it if you took a look at yours. I think if I bought mine new I would try the preventative methods that you use. As it is, the machine looks good, normal rust, so I'll just brush it off and treat the exposed metal.

Mberna6

Equipment
BX25D
May 22, 2017
MA, USA
Hi NetMagi: I just re-read your entire thread. This morning I was noticing how much play there is in the chute, like the issue you had. Maybe I will try to order those parts they suggested for you.