BX2816 Snowblower Issue

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
The last couple of times I’ve used my snowblower on my BX 1880 I’ve noticed that the one side is not pulling in snow like it used to. It just pushes the snow while the other side pulls it into the snowblower and send it to the chute.
I figured the shear bolt must be cracked, but when I removed it I saw no issues. I tugged on the problem auger and it feels solid. It spins when engaged.
The first time I used it this year it was a heavy snowfall and while I was cleaning the slush up at the end I clogged the chute. I did try to engage and disengage in order to try and clear the clog. Could that have bent some thing? The next time out it had the symptoms described above. It gets light use as this was only the third time I used it this year. Hoping someone with more experience may have had this issue before. Not sure what else to troubleshoot.
Thanks,
Jeff

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Something to check is the phasing of the augers. If not oriented properly, a side could not push toward the impellor as usual.

It's just a 180 rotation of the auger on the shaft. You need to pull a shear pin to do that.

Check your Owner's Manual for the blower.

More serious issue, have someone in the seat and make sure that side is turning....a big mirror could also work for you in the seat. That could be a gearbox problem.

This is the phasing of my BX2750D augers. Not the same as yours, but may help you understand the issue.
1AD3D749-E3E4-480F-A5AE-7A990AC63F25.jpeg

Last edited:

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
Thanks! My blower does have a sticker that shows how it should be oriented and I’ve never removed the shear pins till a couple weeks ago (paint was still on the pins). I’ll definitely double check it again.
I did make sure it was turning. Gave my wife a lesson on how to run it real quick. It was turning and seemed normal.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Super.

I've broken a bunch of pins over the years.

I think I was just lucky with the orientation, but it does matter.

I probably should make sure mine are still right.....:D

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I assume that you are just looking at the auger in free space and it is turning. You can’t be sure that it continues to turn under load. Not sure how you can verify that. There may just be enough friction in the system to rotate even if the shear pin is broken.

I guess you can just remove all shear pin on that side and see if it is solid or not.

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
I assume that you are just looking at the auger in free space and it is turning. You can’t be sure that it continues to turn under load. Not sure how you can verify that. There may just be enough friction in the system to rotate even if the shear pin is broken.

I guess you can just remove all shear pin on that side and see if it is solid or not.
yep that’s exactly what i did. Removed the shear pin and verified it was in good order.

I’m going to check my security camera to see if I can figure anything out with it under load.

Thanks,
Jeff