BX2670 MMM makes grinding noise when engaging blades

grandmajo

Equipment
BX2670 w/FEL, MMM & Back Blade
Aug 15, 2015
Montpelier
Hi,

My MMM has suddenly started making a grinding noise when I engage the blades. This happens no matter if the deck is raised or lowered and at idle speed.

So far on the mower we've 1) Checked for loose blades, all are tight. 2) Checked area where blades turns, is clear from debris 3) Checked gear box oil level, it is good 4) Checked blades, could use sharpening but are not damaged/bent.

I had my hubby start the tractor and engage the PTO with the MMM removed. It appears that the shaft that goes into the mower deck has quite a bit of wobble to it. I'm leaning towards it is a PTO/Universal joint problem, but wanted to double check to see if we missed anything while checking stuff.

I should also note that the last time my hubby mowed he lost one on the front rollers off of the deck and didn't notice it was gone. I'm not sure how long he mowed like that or if that could have even caused a problem.

Thanks!

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Check the bearings on your MMM.

grandmajo

Equipment
Aug 15, 2015
Montpelier
Can you explain how to do this? I went thru the owner's manual and it doesn't have anything about it.
Thanks!

Oldmansbike

Equipment
BX2370
May 26, 2016
Wever,Iowa
You don't happen to have a drive over deck do you? Mine started making noises like that so I took it off and discovered that the yoke on the drive shaft didn't have any splines in it any more.

grandmajo

Equipment
Aug 15, 2015
Montpelier
You don't happen to have a drive over deck do you? Mine started making noises like that so I took it off and discovered that the yoke on the drive shaft didn't have any splines in it any more.
Yes, it is a drive over deck. I looked at the splines, they are present, but I'm wondering if they are worn down enough that they are slipping, if that makes sense? That's more of what it sounds like to me. But I'm no expert by any means!

Oldmansbike

Equipment
BX2370
May 26, 2016
Wever,Iowa
Check the bearing that The yoke sets in or it could be that yours is just starting to lose its splines. I think the yoke was bad from the factory soft or something like that and of course my warranty ha expired 2 months before it went out. I waited 3 weeks for a new one it was back ordered with no date when they would be available. My dealer finally took one off another tractor any sold it to me. Pricey little part too.