BX2660 HST Power

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
Maybe my paranoia is getting the better of me. I have a 2008 BX2660 with FEL. Historically when doing FEL work I'm in low range 4wd, In the past I could dig into a pile until the tractor wheels started to loose traction and spin. Didn't typically matter the type surface, Well I haven't done much FEL work lately, mostly just mowing. Yesterday I was working the FEL and couldn't get the tires to spin at all even in soft dirt. The engine would bog down (not completely) but the tires would never spin, just sit there with the engine lugging.

I would think that in low 4wd a full press on the HST pedal would result in either the tractor loosing traction and spinning the tires, or the engine bogging down completely until it shut off.

Am I off base here? Is there something that would cause this loss(actually reduction) of power to the drive wheels?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Maybe my paranoia is getting the better of me. I have a 2008 BX2660 with FEL. Historically when doing FEL work I'm in low range 4wd, In the past I could dig into a pile until the tractor wheels started to loose traction and spin. Didn't typically matter the type surface, Well I haven't done much FEL work lately, mostly just mowing. Yesterday I was working the FEL and couldn't get the tires to spin at all even in soft dirt. The engine would bog down (not completely) but the tires would never spin, just sit there with the engine lugging.

I would think that in low 4wd a full press on the HST pedal would result in either the tractor loosing traction and spinning the tires, or the engine bogging down completely until it shut off.

Am I off base here? Is there something that would cause this loss(actually reduction) of power to the drive wheels?
You're problem might be here.....remember the HST pedal is not a throttle like your car/truck.. ease into the pile...and the pedal....

Sounds like you've had the tractor a long while, but not done FEL work in a while. We all get out of practice sometimes...

Try it again, easing into the HST pedal as you ease into the pile. I have never had my HST "floored" while doing loader work. It's kinda like shifting your truck into overdrive while trying to plow 18" of snow. Oh wait...not an issue in the Sunshine State! ;)

Last edited:

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
Yea. No snow to worry about here. Lots of sand but it generally stays on the beaches. I get amused reading about cabs and heaters and such from my northern neighbors on here. I've visited the northern parts sometimes in some rather brutal weather and certainly wouldn't want to live there full time. But then again, folks say that about Florida in July & August heat.

I can always improve technique. I guess what worried me is that in the past I could dig into the pile until I lost traction. Now, it doesn't seem to have the power to do so.

Nothing I cant deal with, just made me wonder if something was out of adjustment or if it was an early sign something was on it's way out.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What he said, the further you push on your pedal the high your gearing for lack of a better word.