BX25 with Pallet forks can lift an empty wood shed?

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I'm thinking of building some wood sheds that I would like "somewhat" portable as I have not found a permanent home for my wood yet.

I'm thinking of using an 8x8 pallet for the base, 8x8 in back and 4x4 on the sides.

I'm thinking this will be roughly 250 pounds.

Then I'm thinking of adding vertical supports and building a roof structure with clear plastic sheeting to keep the rain off.

I'm guessing this will add another 100-150 pounds.

what do you guys think about using the front mount pallet forks on the FEL to move this thing around?

Or should I make smaller sheds 4 feet square?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Use your 8x8 pallet for your base and build it just as you described. On one end of the base add a 2x8 (or some other timber you have) under the pallet and extend it out another 6" on each side.

When you need to move the shed you can take your loader and pick up a couple of inches and lay a chain under the 2x8, around the back and then under the 2x8 again on the other side. Hook the chain to your lift arms, raise the shed on the one end and drag it off. Now you're going forward. Better traction and visibility.

You could take a shovel, or clawed hammer and dig a spot for the chain to fit also.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Your loader will lift about 750lbs at the pivots, about 500lbs 18" out. You can do the math if you want, but the CG of an 8x8 shed is out another 4'. Not going to do it.
Even a 4x4 shed would be iffy. (And of questionable use.)
D2cat's method is the way to go.

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
Use your 8x8 pallet for your base and build it just as you described. On one end of the base add a 2x8 (or some other timber you have) under the pallet and extend it out another 6" on each side.

When you need to move the shed you can take your loader and pick up a couple of inches and lay a chain under the 2x8, around the back and then under the 2x8 again on the other side. Hook the chain to your lift arms, raise the shed on the one end and drag it off. Now you're going forward. Better traction and visibility.

You could take a shovel, or clawed hammer and dig a spot for the chain to fit also.
Interesting. Thanks for the idea.

Your loader will lift about 750lbs at the pivots, about 500lbs 18" out. You can do the math if you want, but the CG of an 8x8 shed is out another 4'. Not going to do it.
Even a 4x4 shed would be iffy. (And of questionable use.)
D2cat's method is the way to go.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.