BX24 wont crank/start !! : /

Bretthmz

Equipment
BX-24 w/ bucket and backhoe
Feb 26, 2014
Junction City Ca
I jumped on the BX tonight and it would not crank.

I did have a couple teenagers operating the back-hoe yesterday , and you know kids , they were flipping switches , shifting levers etc wondering " what does this thing do ? "
Well I put everything back in the position that it should be in but it wont crank.
The battery has a strong charge good but just in case I tried to jump it from my truck battery . No Go.

When I put the key into the run I can hear the normal fuel pump sound kind of clicking , normal.
When I go to the start position I hear nothing else. The solenoid does not click ...no nuthin ! No sound like the starter is even trying to work.

There are a few switches under the seat . If they are bad will it "not start"? I know that I get on and off of the tractor and it does die ( when its running . )

I was going to jumper the starter solenoid but its not like the old ford or chevy set-up . The solenoid must be internal in the starter ?

I did not have time to test those seat switches tonight. It was getting dark and Im so hungry that my stomach thinks my throat has been cut , so I got some dinner started.

What should I look for ? It has plenty of oil / fuel / battery juice / .

I need to get some trenches buried here really soon I got my mom coming over !!

What things should I check first -and- can I jumper the solenoid somehow ?

Can ya help me out fellers and / or fellerettes.....

Thanks ahead of time !

Brett

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
If the kids were playing with the levers, then it is likely that a "safety switch" is engaged somewhere.

Start with the PTO lever. If the PTO is on then the tractor will be dead.

Make sure the tractor is out of gear and the F-B pedal is centered. Check the main fuse near the starter.

You can test the starter by shorting out the battery positive to the positive post on the starter. The tractor should crank.

Also, check the fuses to see if one is blown.

Bretthmz

Equipment
Feb 26, 2014
Junction City Ca
Thanks GWD for pointing me in the right direction.

Last night before I quit I had checked the fuses except for the main fuse that you pointed me to .
This morning I tested the seat switches with my volt meter ( they are easiest to get to .
The PTO was disengaged as it should be for started . No Go Still.

I found and disconnected the PTO switch , tested it , Its good . I did notice that the terminals has just a slight bit of corrosion, just not new and shiny ( the tractor only has 115 hrs on it but the tractor has just sat around for a few years . )

I plugged it back in , turned the key and it fired up !!!! It had to be a funky connection at the PTO switch . Thanks for guiding me in the right direction !
I have some trenches to fill now ! So I better git goin.

BTW ... Where in N. Calif are you ? Im in Trinity County.

Brett

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I'm a flatlander in the countryside near Vacaville. It is about halfway between Sacramento and San Francisco.

Congratulations on the fix and troubleshooting skills. Sometimes this kind of problem can be a real bugger.

Last edited:

Bretthmz

Equipment
Feb 26, 2014
Junction City Ca
GWD,

Back in 2003, I built a cabin here . Mostly to hunt , fish and gold prospect from.

Well , I permanently relocated here late last year. Guess from where ??

From Fairfield ! Right next to you.

Looks like you might be out in Pleasants valley or Browns valley , I have friends who have property in both areas.

Small world. Out of all of the people here who could have replied to my distress call .... it was a Vacavillian. : )

Brett

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Sometimes those safety switches get corroded. I have found that engaging and un engaging stuff, like PTO, several times will be enough to make suitable contact.