BX24 no start

bullitt55

Equipment
BX24 and impliments
Jul 21, 2013
Chiloquin, Or
My Bx24 failed to start yesterday first time ever after 4 years. Here is my question: As I turn the key to "on" I can hear the fuel pump clicking/pumping, but it does not stop, as I think it used to. Shouldn't the pump stop clicking after a few seconds? Replaced battery, checked voltage at the pump 12.4 volts, and its getting fuel through the filter.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
My Bx24 failed to start yesterday first time ever after 4 years. Here is my question: As I turn the key to "on" I can hear the fuel pump clicking/pumping, but it does not stop, as I think it used to. Shouldn't the pump stop clicking after a few seconds? Replaced battery, checked voltage at the pump 12.4 volts, and its getting fuel through the filter.
Since no body has yet responded I will at least offer some moral support if nothing else.
I don't think any of the tractors use a electric fuel pump to deliver fuel to the injection pump, the clicking you hear should be coming from a small solenoid that operates a valve within the injection pump that turns the fuel on/off. when you turn on the key it should only click once, if its repeatedly clicking its not staying on and thus you have no fuel going into the injection pump.

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Is the engine turning over but not starting? Have you checked all fuses? My bx24 fuel pump ticks when you turn the ignition on. If you disconnect the rubber fuel line you'll see the diesel pulsing on each tick.

Had a similar "won't start" problem last week and posted my questions and what was ultimately wrong. Here's the link.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11219

Very easy fix if this is it. Supposedly a common problem with bx24's.

Last edited:

bullitt55

Equipment
BX24 and impliments
Jul 21, 2013
Chiloquin, Or
Thanks Cal 1, the engine does not crank at all, all I hear is a continuous clicking of the fuel pump, and no crank as I turn key to start. I will check all fuses and the "engine stop solenoid" do you know where it is. Thanks

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Turning the key to start and nothing happening usually means a safety switch, brake not depressed, trans not in neutral etc.. And yes, the fuel pump ( primary) does continue to cycle with the key on.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
So the bx uses a elec lift pump , didn't know that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
I think he's right, sounds like a safety switch thinks it needs to be working. Wonder if the pto switch is bad or the seat switch is gone. Not hard to check but definitely doesn't sound like my problem (Crank but not start). Do you have a manual? I do and can scan an area if it would help. Send me a private e-mail at plum2@q.com with a number if you want to talk.

Cal