BX23S loader limit

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
hmm..'lifting at the pin'...
there's just something 'wrong' about lifting then carrying a 400-700# thing on a chain 1,234 feet over lumpy ,bumpy fields....
call me crazy, but ,well, it don't seem SAFE !
any load ,especially heavy, awkward ones should be secure in a bucket or on forks NOT swinging in the breeze....
the 4in1 bucket must be a downunder item..I'd like to have one...sigh...
A 4in1 is standard in OZ. Its a factory fitted item
Its rare to not see a 4in1 here
You can see it here https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39792

A pic of my shackle points is here
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=361514&postcount=20

Id agree lifting and moving on a single chain can be dangerous with a big load. I guess I did not indicate I had have 3 shackle points. Its usually a lift with 2 or 3 chains or slings. Also it cant twist with 2 or more points. You would be nuts to have a long sling/chain so it can swing. the load is at the dozer blade of the bucket so it cant swing this also keeps the loader arms as low as possible

As a comparison;
A log I can grab with the 4in1 would be carried using the jaw grabs.
If it is too big in diameter to grab its far safer to put a couple of slings on it and lift than put it on top of the bucket

Last edited:

bgiff

Jun 5, 2017
San Andreas, CA
My biggest complaint about my BX- it cannot lift a full bucket of gravel/dirt.
I was thinking about turning up the pump or replacing the lift rams with something bigger... Safety hall monitors can relax though, i’m aware of the balance issues and am not concerned.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
SSQA moves the assembly less than 1", it weighs 50 pounds. I doubt the impact is that significant. However, I don't think using 200# forks on a BX with SSQA is practical. Should be using light duty forks that come in around 120 pounds. There are a few out there. It's a BX, just gonna have to make more trips to move stuff.

Also have never had a problem lifting heaping bucket full of topsoil either, SSQA
There was still plenty of travel available.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Gee, like B737, I can haul full buckets of gravel,dirt, ponypoop,compost all day long... doing that now to reclaim 200 by20 area of land to become,ugh, MORE veggie garden....for the wife...
I've got the HLA 900# pallet fork setup,so forged forks. I could shave a few pounds off making my own but a got a very,very good deal on these.
I run about 2500RPM and low range for loader operations. 2000RPM and high range to transport..light loads, low range for heavier stuff.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Its a conspiracy run by all tractor and equipment manufacturers.

They build tiny little machines that LOOK LIKE the big boys giving owners the impression that their little machines can lift the same weights and do the same work with the same cycle times as the big machines. Then these owners get smacked in the foreheads by something call Physics which forces them to

1. go whine on the internet how company XYZ screwed them or scams people by utilizing confusing technical jargon that only nerds understand

OR

2. scour user groups for magic foo foo solutions like adding shims or painting flames on their hoods

OR

3. run out and impulsively buy another machine thats only slightly bigger in the hopes it will do the job.

Manufacturers are slyly working the odds, theres a 1 in 3 chance they get to sell a new machine. The circle of life is complete.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm at the painting flames stage.
Is there a particular color or brand that will give the biggest boost in lifting capacity?

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Who ever picks up anything at the "pin" ?? You would have to remove the bucket or forks and hang a rope or chain around your weight. Those #'s are like mpg for cars. Manufactures put #'s that are created in ideal circumstances, not real world. What you can lift is always less than what you think you can.
Not using Forks, but in the case use of SSQA. The use of chainhooks seem to be mostly used when on the bucket. Like many, I have and use them.

Since there's more lift at the pins, I plan to add chainhooks and d-rings to the back of the SSQA Plate for more lift in that aspect.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
My dealer tried to sell me on the SSQA and I asked for what. He said for various attachments like forks. After checking into it I found forks on a BX is such a waste of money! The higher you want to lift the LESS it can lift and SSQA makes it worse! Since I never intend to put anything up front I went with the pin on bucket! ZERO regrets! I did buy forks around $100 that bolt on the bucket lip just to move small stuff around and lift implements and MMM up so I dont work on them on the ground. NO never bent the bucket lip using them even moving huge logs at nearly max capacity. The factory cutting edge reinforces that! SSQA on a BX is like tits on a bull. NOW on a large tractor thats a different story!

Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Its a conspiracy run by all tractor and equipment manufacturers.

They build tiny little machines that LOOK LIKE the big boys giving owners the impression that their little machines can lift the same weights and do the same work with the same cycle times as the big machines. Then these owners get smacked in the foreheads by something call Physics which forces them to

1. go whine on the internet how company XYZ screwed them or scams people by utilizing confusing technical jargon that only nerds understand

OR

2. scour user groups for magic foo foo solutions like adding shims or painting flames on their hoods

OR

3. run out and impulsively buy another machine thats only slightly bigger in the hopes it will do the job.

Manufacturers are slyly working the odds, theres a 1 in 3 chance they get to sell a new machine. The circle of life is complete.
You hit the nail on the head!

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Who ever picks up anything at the "pin" ?? You would have to remove the bucket or forks and hang a rope or chain around your weight. Those #'s are like mpg for cars. Manufactures put #'s that are created in ideal circumstances, not real world. What you can lift is always less than what you think you can.
Everything is rated at the pin because the numbers sound better! If it was rated in real use terms dealers would not sell all those forks and other attachments! Putting SSQA on scuts is a marketing ploy$$$$

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When I bought my BX23S 5 years ago, the dealer asked if I wanted the MMM? I laughed and said have you EVER seen a 'real' TLB with a deck under it's belly ? For the price of the deck back then ($2500+13%), I could buy 2-3 riders and that's IF my 20 year old Cub cadet doesn't outlive me. I do have the 3PH kit, still in the box.
Space is now a concern,having lost the 4300 sqft bldg and acre of land so where I'd put the loader and BH units when TLB becomes a rider would be a huge challenge.
I enjoy the SSQA setup, makes it easy for this 70 year old to swap out bucket for forks and vice versa to go help the neighbours. I hae ZERO use for it on my property. One of my 'real' tractors had 6' wide pin on bucket. THAT was a royal PITA to swap for forks.
To each his own, but I finally figured out that ...the older we get, we don't get any younger

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
To each their own in life.

I have SSQA. I may not USE it much, but I have it. Just like the BH. These BX machines are toys....therefore I play.

My outlook in everything is work smarter, not harder. Age trumps all my decisions.