BX23S float position on loader

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
106 hours on my BX23s. When in float for winter moving of snow it seems to come out of float and into lower position now. Was fine previously. Is there an adjustment on the valve? I want to use float so that I can still steer the tractor but it ends up lifting the front wheels off the ground.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
106 hours on my BX23s. When in float for winter moving of snow it seems to come out of float and into lower position now. Was fine previously. Is there an adjustment on the valve? I want to use float so that I can still steer the tractor but it ends up lifting the front wheels off the ground.
Can not help with your question, but I can say with my loader on the B series, if I am in float and moving forward smoothing dirt, the front end will lift off the ground. Reverse not so...

Are you sure the valve is coming out of float position? You would know if you can push it back into float position I suppose. Otherwise what you are experiencing may be normal if the snow is a bit sticky like dirt is.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Can not help with your question, but I can say with my loader on the B series, if I am in float and moving forward smoothing dirt, the front end will lift off the ground. Reverse not so...

Are you sure the valve is coming out of float position? You would know if you can push it back into float position I suppose. Otherwise what you are experiencing may be normal if the snow is a bit sticky like dirt is.
it doesn't seem to me that the valve is coming out of position, it stays full forward. I may be thinking about this wrong now that I see your post. It is possible that the position of the pins and linkages causes the front to rise in forward. I will have to pay more attention and see if it drops back down if i back up a little once the front end raises. I have not noticed it while back-dragging (I know, don't back drag with a blade down angle) so you may be onto something and the valve is not raising the front end but the forces are.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Mine stays 'locked' in float pretty well... what I have noticed is that when in 'float' mode YOU have to drive slow to allow the oil in the cyls to move as required ,to have the bucket 'follow' the contours of the land.
this might be what you're seeing.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It’s just physics.

Float is great for back dragging. However, going forward the bucket is lower than the loader mount on the tractor so if the bucket meets with resistance, the tendency of the tractor is to run over the top of the bucket. In float, the only force preventing that “run over” situation is the weight of the front of the tractor. So if there’s enough resistance from the dirt, snow, etc. on the forward motion of the bucket as you move forward in float, the front of the tractor heads for the sky. That’s true for any loader where the bucket is floating at a position lower than loader attachment point on the tractor, which would be all loaders in pretty much every scenario. Been there, done that and didn’t think about the potential for uncontrolled lifting of the front of the tractor until the first time it happened to me.

I’ve back dragged our 1/4 mile gravel driveway at about 6 mph in reverse and that high speed back drag is fine. BUT, if you float going forward go slow and be careful. If/when the front of the tractor lifts you need to be able to stop before it gets out of control.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Remember it's not a dozer!
That’s both true and a great example of the forces involved. If you look at a dozer, the attachment point for the blade is as low as practical to avoid this exact issue.