BX23S FEL Issue

OhHeyMike

Equipment
BX23S, 55â€￾ front-mount snowblower
May 5, 2019
New Hampshire
Only 5 hours on a new BX23S and I’m having an issue with the front end loader. I hauled a few buckets worth of loam and went back for one more and the bucket wouldn’t lift or turn. Turned it off and checked for hydraulic leaks, 3 pt lever in neutral, etc. I even removed and re-attached the loader. If I let it sit for a while it’ll start working again, but going up and down it gets slower and slower until it stops altogether. I’m running at 2,500+ RPM and the backhoe works just fine even when the FEL doesn’t. I let it sit overnight and it’s working fine again (for now). My dealer is coming to check it out, but wondering if anybody else has had this issue? Very frustrating start to my Kubota ownership...

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
From memory, the backhoe valve provides the hydraulic power to the FEL through a power beyond port on the backhoe valve.

If you have FEL issues then the backhoe is the place to be checking.

I would be checking quick couplings for the backhoe lines and also, that each hose is in the correct place. I think there are three between the hoe and the tractor.

Hydraulic circuit
To operate the backhoe, the hydraulic oil is first pressurized by the hydraulic pump. Oil then flows from pump port P through six control valves (the bucket control valve, the dipperstick control valve, the stabilizer R.H. control valve, the stabilizer L.H. control valve, the boom control valve and the swing control valve) to P.B. port (to front loader control valve).
Since the relief valve is not equipped in the backhoe control valve, the main relief valve in the tractor operates.
Dave

OhHeyMike

Equipment
May 5, 2019
New Hampshire
Service came out yesterday, overnighted some parts, and ended up replacing 2 of the 4 fittings on the underside of the hydraulic quick coupler manifold today. There was a hairline crack in the 2 fittings and a slight hydraulic leak. The tech seemed surprised the leak wasn’t worse. Not sure if the fittings were just over torqued at the factory or a manufacturer defect, etc. I’m hoping that it’s fixed. Time will tell...

OhHeyMike

Equipment
May 5, 2019
New Hampshire
Problem still isn***8217;t fixed, but I think I***8217;m narrowing in on the issue. FEL did the same exact thing as before (stopped working when warm), so I decided I***8217;d see if the back hoe was functioning. The right joystick (that articulates the back hoe bucket was hard as a rock pushing it outward. It also started getting stuck and I could hear the hydraulics going to relief. When this is happening naturally the FEL doesn***8217;t work. So now the question - why is the back hoe joystick getting hard? And why only after the tractor warms up? Bad valve or something else? I***8217;m up to a whopping 7 hours on the machine now...

If I manipulate the joystick I get it to stop and then the FEL works fine again.

Last edited:

OhHeyMike

Equipment
May 5, 2019
New Hampshire
Just realized I never updated the resolution.. the main control valve was leaking internally and needed to be replaced. When the fluid warmed up it leaked through and you could actually watch the backhoe levers start moving by themselves.. pretty wild. So, if you’re experiencing issues like mine then you should check the caps on the bottom end of the control valve below the backhoe. If they have fluid in them then it’s bad. You can disconnect the hydraulic lines from the backhoe and reconnect to return back to the tractor and continue to use the loader, etc just fine. Disappointed in the quality control at Kubota... 19 hours and issue after issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xjl403t

Jun 2, 2020
Harmony. PA
Well, you certainly saved me some time. Thank you. I have the same symptom, only my left BH control is hard for moving the arm down (forward). Disconnected BH as you suggested, and FEL works fine. Service arrives Thursday. I'll post whatever issue they find. Brand new 2020 23S. Took delivery last Friday. Should I demand a new unit? 6 hour on this thing, 3 of them spent trying to figure out this issue.

Last edited:

Xjl403t

Jun 2, 2020
Harmony. PA
Well, you certainly saved me some time. Thank you. I have the same symptom, only my left BH control is hard for moving the arm down (forward). Disconnected BH as you suggested, and FEL works fine. Service arrives Thursday. I'll post whatever issue they find. Brand new 2020 23S. Took delivery last Friday. Should I demand a new unit? 6 hour on this thing, 3 of them spent trying to figure out this issue.
[/QUOTE
Just realized I never updated the resolution.. the main control valve was leaking internally and needed to be replaced. When the fluid warmed up it leaked through and you could actually watch the backhoe levers start moving by themselves.. pretty wild. So, if you’re experiencing issues like mine then you should check the caps on the bottom end of the control valve below the backhoe. If they have fluid in them then it’s bad. You can disconnect the hydraulic lines from the backhoe and reconnect to return back to the tractor and continue to use the loader, etc just fine. Disappointed in the quality control at Kubota... 19 hours and issue after issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope this thread is still active enough to get some feedback. So, the bottom line is tha for the six weeks I have owned my new 23S, I've been able to use it to cut grass exactly twice.
The FEL loader issue described earlier resulted in the dealer collecting my machine on 5 June, and returning it Thursday 25 June. They said that they fixed / repaired the kickstand, replaced the water pump, (I was smelling coolant) and replaced the valve on the backhoe left stick, which controls down boom pressure, as that was jammed.
I removed the BH and FEL without incident, and cut grass for about three hours today. Although it is quite finicky regarding how precise one must be in positioning the tractor in relation to the BH, the Backhoe reattached without issues. The FEL was another matter.
I lined up and tried to connect the hydraulics via the quick connect manifold. No dice. After two more position adjustments, the quick connect still wouldn't properly engage or lock. It was stuck about halfway down. I inspected the upper part of the manifold and found a piece of plastic or nylon stuck in the valve opening. See pic.
A quick call to the dealership service folks, and they advised me to remove the object and try again. I did remove the object, but it shot out of the valve and into the landscape. Couldn't find it. This time the manifold engaged and locked and we thought we'd fixed the issue, until the right side arm wouldn't lock onto the frame. I tried a few more times and remembering my lesson learned from years ago on my BX2380, disconnected everything and walked away. Service will be back out sometime soon to pick it up a third time.
Aside the normal gripes about having no machine, and being unable to do the work I bought the machine to do, am I crazy to think I bought a defective unit? This unit now has 17 hours on it, and I found the initial FEL / BH issue at 3.5 hours. What does everyone suspect was the plastic piece in the picture? Valve seal? Piece of broken hydraulic pump? My hobby is using the machines to get work done, not becoming a service tech. Any thoughts? I'm beyond disappointed and frustrated at this point. Looks like no corn for me again this year.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
See what 'service' does...if they repair yours, I'd keep it. Another tractor might have the same problem,only to fail later on.....
Hvae to ask what are th epictures of ??
Jay

Xjl403t

Jun 2, 2020
Harmony. PA
See what 'service' does...if they repair yours, I'd keep it. Another tractor might have the same problem,only to fail later on.....
Hvae to ask what are th epictures of ??
Jay
The pics I posted show the upper (movable) part of the FEL hydraulics quick connect manifold. The port is jammed with a piece of plastic or nylon material from somewhere in the hydraulic system. This is on the red port. I agree with you about getting troubles fixed and keeping the machine. I'd hate to go through this again, or see anyone else do the same.