BX23S - Can't rehook backhoe flat-faced hydo fittings?

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
I've got a newish BX23S that has about 14 hours on it. I've already removed the backhoe 5 times and had no issues reattaching it the previous 4. This time I can't seem to get the hydro lines connected. I've released pressure on the tractor side and tractor is turned off. I've also moved all the sticks on the hoe, wondering if pressure was on that side. Still no luck.

The back hoe has been off the tractor for a week - so it has "squatted" down as far as the outriggers go, and the bottom of the hoe is sitting on the ground.

I haven't had it sitting so low before, but all the lines reach.

Thanks for any help. Going out of town and need to get it reattached.

-Calvin

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Go ahead and loosen the fitting on both sides of each of the fitting and try connecting the while everything is loose. Be careful to not get a squirt of pressurized fuel into a palm or eye etc.

Also be sure the slip rings that you move back and forth to slide the fittings together are moving far enough back to allow a connection. Many of them have a small notch on the ring that lines up with a small projection to prevent accidental disconnects.

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
One problem I have had reattaching the bh is if the tractor hydraulic connectors are too hot. I’ve not had any problems when that are both cool.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't own one but I don't understand why they install flat face couplers. The logical choice in my view would be Pioneer couple and release under pressure couplers, but then don't own one so I'm just postulating. I removed the flat faced couplers from my Bobcat and installed Pioneer years ago and both my M's have Pioneer OEM.

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have this problem every spring when i remove blower and go to hook up hoe.

You need to free the pin inside the coupler. Usually I use some sort of flat face punch or similiar and have to give it a tap with a hammer. Be aware it will squirt out a bit of fluid when it releases.

Try pushing on that nipple/pin with your finger. If it is not "locked" you can move it easily.

This can happen simply from sitting in the sun and the heat builds some pressure. Doesnt take much to lock it.

Hope this helps.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
I don't own one but I don't understand why they install flat face couplers. The logical choice in my view would be Pioneer couple and release under pressure couplers, but then don't own one so I'm just postulating. I removed the flat faced couplers from my Bobcat and installed Pioneer years ago and both my M's have Pioneer OEM.

I agree the release under pressure are the way to go. I did however swap mine out on the Kubota L3560 front end so that I can use my attachments on the tractor or rental or other contractors equipment such as skid steer loaders. I do go through the minor hassle of bleeding the fluids out of the attachments before I hook them back up to my equipment.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sort of after the fact but... when my BH is off, I ensure the lock pins are in the boom so it does not settle and I have the outriggers either up and strapped together or down. I also leave the bucket in its 'relaxed drop position to eliminate and fluid pressure. The idea being to beat it to the punch on setting, otherwise, you have to bleed it off as others have said.
There can be a fair amount of weight that over time, built up pressure. Wrap a rag aroiund the fitting to prevent being hit with a shot of fluid. I hear it can be much worse than a close proximity pressure washer!:eek: