BX23S: Backhoe removal - can't reconnect hose loop for 3pt circuit...

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
QUICK NOTE - THIS IS RESOLVED. Explanation below original post. Main take away, if you can't get the bypass plugged in, it *could* be several things (listed in responses below)- but in MIGHT be that the steel tube got bent by improper routing of the backhoe hoses by either Kubota or the whomever prepped the tractor - so no, YOU ARE NOT CRAZY, things happen and tolerances are tight on small machines.

Decided to learn how to take the Backhoe off this evening - to be able to mow tomorrow. (received the BX23S this past Saturday) Everything went good, until the part where you connect the hose from the tractor to the BH (male straight connector), back to the tractor. (This would be the hose from the hydro, which loops back to the female connector on the rear right of the tractor - where the blue capped connector would go when BH connected)

I absolutely cannot get the hose connected. I have disconnected/reconnected all the hoses in the standard configuration for Backhoe use at least 2 dozen times since I started - no issues with dis-reconnecting any of them, even the one from the backhoe (male connector with blue cap) that attaches to the same connection on tractor. I've worked on it for over an hour and cannot get the straight male connecter into the female to complete the loop when the Backhoe is disconnected.

I've tried reattaching everything, starting tractor, shutting back down and wiggling the loader stick in case there was a pressure issue.. Nope. I've cut the zip tie and pulled the hose wrap back for more clearance. I've lowered the deck (to drop parts of the 3pt to get more room for my hands), I cut the zip tie that holds an electric wire running right through the area (temporarily moving the wire) to get more room - nothing seem to help.

I don't get it. Have watched at 10 videos where all do it easy-peesy. However, there seems to be an interface issue of some sort.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Does this thing need to go back to dealer? I'm comfortable with basic mechanical tasks, but am concerned about wrenching on the hydraulics of a brand new machine. The backhoe is supposed to "swift-connect" and right now nothing is further from the truth.

I'm also slightly concerned that when the dealer put the deck on and raised it up all the way up for transport (it was WAY up) it may have pinched the connecter between the 3pt arm and possibly tweaked the line up a bit? All I can say is that this worlds apart from the videos, not "swift" anything, and a real bummer.

Thanks for any advice,

-Calvin

UPDATE - ISSUE RESOLVED:

All's well that ends well. Issue fixed. Called the dealer at 8am. He called me back at 8:30. Texted him a picture of the issue, which he took to shop manager. They saw right away what the problem was. Someone, at some point, had wrapped both of the 2 hydraulic lines OVER the tops of the lift arms for the 3 point - instead of between them. (You an see this in the photo uploaded) This may have been Kubota, or someone at the shop while prepping tractor - possibly to check the hydro fluid dip stick. Anyhow, when lift was raised to stow the mid-mount mower deck I purchased, the lift arm pressed up on the blue fitting (in the picture) and tweaked the steel hydro line up an angle (more of a curve) not immediately visible to the eye, but enough to prevent inserting the loop male connector straight in.

The shop manager drove out (I'm 20 minutes from dealership) and tweaked the tube back down with a crowbar - no muss, no fuss. Situation resolved by 10:15am - can't ask for more than that. No more trouble and can easily insertthe loop fitting. Took all of 5 minutes, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it myself should something have gone wrong.

Attachments

Last edited:

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi cwl3.

I have have the bx23s and I have had the same problem a couple of times. For me, it was the heating up of the fluid in the backhoe. The first time, I took it off first thing in the morning (machine/fluids were cold), and left the backhoe in the shade while I used the tractor to cut the grass. Later, I went to reconnect and the fluid in the tractor was hot and the back hoe had been sitting in the sun for quite a while and the air temperature outside had gone up from 60F to 80F. It would not connect no matter what I tried. Came on here and read some of the other folks same issue and put the tractor away, left the backhoe where it was until the next morning and everything plugged in with no effort.

Let us know if this helps, as there are other ways to release the pressure. But bottom line, it is likely built up hydraulic fluid pressure.

Good luck.
Les.

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
Hi cwl3.
Came on here and read some of the other folks same issue and put the tractor away, left the backhoe where it was until the next morning and everything plugged in with no effort.

Let us know if this helps, as there are other ways to release the pressure. But bottom line, it is likely built up hydraulic fluid pressure.

Good luck.
Les.
Hi Les, others,

Thanks for the help! Just a quick comment. I'm unable to connect the "loop" line that goes from the tractor, back into the tractor. I believe that you are not supposed to operate the tractor without out it hooked up - per manual and Messicks video.

Also, in my case, the tractor was only warm enough to run hydraulics - I literally ran it for five minutes. It was about 59 yesterday evening. I'm going to try again this morning, but not sure if heat is the issue.

Thanks you again through - it all helps!

-Calvin

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi Calvin. If it isn't from temperature change causing the pressure to build up, you may need to try to release the pressure manually. You are correct and you shouldn't run without that line connected. Have you released the pressure in the FEL by moving the stick around without the engine on? You may need to open one the quick connect to bleed the pressure off. Be careful and cover the connector with a rag, wear face protection and gloves, just in case there is pressure in the line. With the tractor off, there won't be any further pressure other than what is in the line. I have had to replace a quick connector that was leaking and also had to open one up to release pressure. I took the precautions, and opened it slowly. It dribbled a little fluid, but no big release and I was able to reconnect right away. Just another suggestion that I have had to do. Just use caution. As I mentioned, I have done it, and no problem, but caution when you are working with pressure in a hydraulic line is essential.

Keep us posted.

Les.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
sometimes you can press the center of the female fitting to relieve the pressure. Otherwise, do what Les stated above. Simply crack open the fitting on the line giving you trouble. You do not have to remove it to relieve the pressure. Just slightly crack it open. One drop of oil coming out is all it usually takes.

before disconnecting anything (fel/bh), make sure to relieve the pressure by moving all control sticks (I usually do it in a circular pattern) with the engine off.

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
All's well that ends well. Issue fixed. Called the dealer at 8am. He called me back at 8:30. Texted him a picture of the issue, which he took to shop manager. They saw right away what the problem was. Someone, at some point, had wrapped both of the 2 hydraulic lines OVER the tops of the lift arms for the 3 point - instead of between them. (You an see this in the photo uploaded) This may have been Kubota, or someone at the shop while prepping tractor - possibly to check the hydro fluid dip stick. Anyhow, when lift was raised to stow the mid-mount mower deck I purchased, the lift arm pressed up on the blue fitting (in the picture) and tweaked the steel hydro line up an angle (more of a curve) not immediately visible to the eye, but enough to prevent inserting the loop male connector straight in.

The shop manager drove out (I'm 20 minutes from dealership) and tweaked the tube back down with a crowbar - no muss, no fuss. Situation resolved by 10:15am - can't ask for more than that. No more trouble and can easily insert the loop fitting. Took all of 5 minutes, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it myself should something have gone wrong

Last edited:

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
If you can't fix it with a crow bar or hammer then it must be electrical.

Glad you figured it out.