BX23S 50 hr service at 42 hrs

aug1113

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 8, 2020
Arizona
Yesterday did the 50hr service at 42hrs on my Bx23s. It all went well and even though the manual says to just change hydro filter, I did a complete fluid change and cleaned trans screen.

I feel much better knowing that the screen is free of assembly debris. Later today I will reattach the loader and backhoe.
This machine is a great addition to us.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did you check front axle?

Not suggesting a change, but they’re often not full when new.

aug1113

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 8, 2020
Arizona
Did you check front axle?

Not suggesting a change, but they’re often not full when new.
RCW, I did check the front axle when it hit the ground on delivery day in July and it was low.

I filled it then, but I went ahead change it as well yesterday. Probably wasn't needed, but I'm the type of guy that feels that most factory assembly is not done in a perfectly clean environment.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I did change mine at 38 also. Mine was a leftover model and it may have been on the lot for a while. Figured a change for moisture purposes was a good idea.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
RCW, I did check the front axle when it hit the ground on delivery day in July and it was low.

I filled it then, but I went ahead change it as well yesterday. Probably wasn't needed, but I'm the type of guy that feels that most factory assembly is not done in a perfectly clean environment.
Slightly thread-drift, but the factory “perfectly clean environment” comment caused me to recall the Cummins engine assembly plant in Columbus I visited during a convention 4 years ago. It was amazing how strict they were on cleanliness.
There was a small, isolated room with “rejected” parts and when asked, the explanation of a nearly complete and perfectly spotless, almost fully assembled engine, scheduled for destruction was sitting on a pallet. Someone in the tour-group asked why an engine that looked perfect was going to be completely destroyed. The answer was shocking:
“Video observation of the assembly line revealed a worker who was snacking on a cookie while arranging pistons in-order for assembly. (The worker had removed his glove to eat the cookie and touched a piston with his bare hand.). His supervisor was facing another direction and did not notice, but “fortunately, we caught it on the video and traced it to this engine.”
It wasn’t even during the assembly of that engine... it was while the pistons were being weighed and placed on a conveyor headed for installation in that particular block. Instead of inspecting and/or cleaning or disassembly and re-assembly.... Cummins sent that engine to a scrap-crusher. :oops:

That was an amazing tour. It was before the covid thing (2017) and we (the tour group) had to enter a negative-air-pressure clean-room to don paper-coveralls and wear masks and face-shields. All the workers were wearing smocks and white gloves. I doubt if a hospital operating room met the standards of that factory.

BTW, they had one of the first Dodge pickups with an early Cummins engine in it on display in ”as completed/off the Dodge assy-line” on display. Zero miles. (well, actually, it had 1.4 miles) Looked pristine, of course. Fun to look at.

Last edited:

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I`m anal about things like this too. I changed ALL my fluids and filters at 50hrs. The coolant is next on the list. Just peace of mind for me. There is nothing better than a happy tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Yesterday did the 50hr service at 42hrs on my Bx23s. It all went well and even though the manual says to just change hydro filter, I did a complete fluid change and cleaned trans screen.

I feel much better knowing that the screen is free of assembly debris. Later today I will reattach the loader and backhoe.
This machine is a great addition to us.
Wow, thats alot of debris on that screen! Mine didnt have anything at all on it. Slight sludge in one tiny area, other than that, it was like it was just pulled and cleaned just before i took it out at 50hrs to clean it. And i know nobody has touched my tractor but me. I was the first person to pull the screen out since it left the factory.

aug1113

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 8, 2020
Arizona
Wow, thats alot of debris on that screen! Mine didnt have anything at all on it. Slight sludge in one tiny area, other than that, it was like it was just pulled and cleaned just before i took it out at 50hrs to clean it. And i know nobody has touched my tractor but me. I was the first person to pull the screen out since it left the factory.
It was mostly gasket material on the screen. I find a thread sliver from the hole tapping process and some metal slivers that was only visible on a magnet.
The fluid looked clean but changed it anyway. The manual only said to change engine oil and filter and HST filter at 50hrs, but after joining here and seeing what others have found, I felt it was best to do the screen as well.

Reactions: 1 user

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
It was mostly gasket material on the screen. I find a thread sliver from the hole tapping process and some metal slivers that was only visible on a magnet.
The fluid looked clean but changed it anyway. The manual only said to change engine oil and filter and HST filter at 50hrs, but after joining here and seeing what others have found, I felt it was best to do the screen as well.
Yeah i hear that, and i agree, i did the same, changed out everything at 50hrs. Happier tractors live longer.