chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S 3rdFunction TerraKingBagger 4ftBoxBlade 5ftPlowBlade 3ptQuickHitch
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
Happy Turkey Day all!

Busy owner of a BX23S - almost a year now.
Using this a lot because it does way more, more easily, than my old HUGE Ford 4500 TLB (14,000 lbs).
Although the TLB did pull large stumps with relative ease.
;-)

On to the question:
According to all I read, here and the shop manual, the backhoe hydraulic lines are Power Beyond and Return.
This SHOULD mean that I can hook other 3pt attachments that have a hydraulic option,
like a splitter or a hydraulic top link which have in/out lines, directly to the in/out for the Backhoe when it is detached.
The lines currently have to be connected together when the backhoe is off of the tractor.

Please tell me if this is correct as this seems so simple no one has answered it completely to my knowledge.
And if this is WRONG please point me to an authoritative method of accomplishing the 3pt + hydraulic options.

I also understand the ~9 gpm limit of the tractor and that slow action will be normal.
A splitter with a 4" cylinder of 20" is ~1 gal. so 1/2 the gpm at ~2k rpm might yield 30-45 second cycle on the splitter at worst.
THANK YOU ! ! !

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, in 2+ years , I've never taken the BH off, but your idea is OK...though maybe not enough force to split 'real' logs? I haven't done the math......
Can I assume you want to buy/make a 3pt mounted splitter ? Kinda makes sense though I've always used a 'standalone' selfpowered unit.

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
Already have a splitter from long ago.
No need to maintain another engine ;-)

I have the BH off all the time switching to a box blade, the way awesome Terra-King bagger, trailer hitch, material trailer, etc.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
A hydraulic valve can be added using the backhoe hookups to supply pressure to the valve. I added a 2 spool valve to my BX24 to control the hydraulic thumb I built for my backhoe and to have dual remotes for future attachments. Any valve you add MUST be plumbed for power beyond or you will not have any pressure to the loader. My valve hooks up either in place of or inline with the backhoe.
C6E31B47-54D8-4DB1-A3C3-EDEE3FF710E4.jpeg
473A9F14-B149-4378-BE41-EA618083A591.jpeg

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
Yes, one loops back into the tractor, hope this answers your question.

great video here:

Kubota BX23S Tractor how to remove & install Backhoe ! - YouTube

wait I think the messicks one is better:
Answer is at 3:30 in the video. The lone "blue" line left gets plugged back in to create a hydraulic loop.
I don't see that this answers my question about other hydraulic attachments. The BH lines are good for other attachments????

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
A hydraulic valve can be added using the backhoe hookups to supply pressure to the valve. I added a 2 spool valve to my BX24 to control the hydraulic thumb I built for my backhoe and to have dual remotes for future attachments. Any valve you add MUST be plumbed for power beyond or you will not have any pressure to the loader. My valve hooks up either in place of or inline with the backhoe. View attachment 51288 View attachment 51289
That's a good helpful answer. If the attachment HAS a valve like my splitter it hooks up ok. If not then you need to add one - like for a hydraulic top link.
Correct?