Bx2380 rubber smell

flynnglide

Nov 26, 2017
Lizton
It was finally spring in Indiana today so I got to mow for the first time. I noticed a slight burning rubber smell after engaging the mid PTO a few times. Standard break in? Does the PTO have a clutch? Recommended rpm for engaging PTO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It was finally spring in Indiana today so I got to mow for the first time. I noticed a slight burning rubber smell after engaging the mid PTO a few times. Standard break in? Does the PTO have a clutch? Recommended rpm for engaging PTO?

Make certain the mower and all its pulleys are turning freely before continuing. Remove the belts so you can feel the rotation of each pulley. Also check for rusted surfaces on the pulleys

A blade hub assembly or an idler pulley starting to seize up will cause belt to slip. Soon you have a flat spot on the belt and lots of vibration.

Rule out the above problems.

Engage pto at low speed and then increase to high revs

Dave

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Sounds like belt slipping or something not turning freely when belt/blades engaged. Check belt tension if it’s not just idler pulley that adjusts tension. Any grease on the belt from lubing deck b4 u mowed?

flynnglide

Nov 26, 2017
Lizton
For clarity, this is on a brand new tractor with 7 hours and the first use of the mmm. I pulled the mower deck today. Removed belt. Checked all pulleys. Made sure everything had grease. Belt didn’t have any shiny spots. Everything looked great. Maybe I just started the PTO with rpms too high. I was at 2000 rpms. Thoughts?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
For clarity, this is on a brand new tractor with 7 hours and the first use of the mmm. I pulled the mower deck today. Removed belt. Checked all pulleys. Made sure everything had grease. Belt didn’t have any shiny spots. Everything looked great. Maybe I just started the PTO with rpms too high. I was at 2000 rpms. Thoughts?

Yes too high rpm to get things moving but further, a brand new belt which had not run in the pulleys before and thus has a surface not yet ready for maximum torque transmission. A little slippage and soon the marriage of the belt to the pulleys will have happened

Cut at high rpms

Dave

flynnglide

Nov 26, 2017
Lizton
Yes too high rpm to get things moving but further, a brand new belt which had not run in the pulleys before and thus has a surface not yet ready for maximum torque transmission. A little slippage and soon the marriage of the belt to the pulleys will have happened

Cut at high rpms

Dave

Thanks Dave.

My first thought was just normal break in time. Figured it was worth consulting the “orange crowd of knowledge” just to be sure.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks Dave.

My first thought was just normal break in time. Figured it was worth consulting the “orange crowd of knowledge” just to be sure.

Now is the time to make the effort to remove the new belt and measure it.
This to allow you to buy a belt on line for a fraction of what Kubota will charge you for a new one.

If you wait a few years until the belt, now much older, breaks then matching it is much harder.

Youtube has a number of videos showing you how to determine the belt length and width.

With those two pieces of info you can be easily shown how to look for a great belt.

Dave

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
Well I have a brand new BX2380 and no belt smell when engaging the MMM. I engage at about 1800 rpms so you probably just had the rpms a bit too high when engaging.

Try a set of these Gator G6 blades I like them! Here's the Kubota factory blade vs the Gator. Note the longer cutting length on the Gator.

Note the carbide coating for improved wear.

After I spent like 2 hours cleaning off the grass and gobs of grease flung everywhere due to the dealer over greasing. On a whim I treated the underside with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax Hydrophobic Polymer, just spray on and forget. Hoping to see if this helps keep the grass from sticking and it was quick and easy to treat.

Last edited: