BX2360 50hr hydro filter screen cleaning problem

azzip

Mar 30, 2010
Rossville, Indiana
Hello all

I am doing 50 hour initial maintenance on my BX2360 and have a question. I goofed on the size of the plug for the hydrostat screen and lost just short of 1.5 gallons (opps... had two plugs. One was a tad too big and one was a tad too small).

After changing the filter and cleaning the filter screen with mineral spirits I reinstalled and added Super UDT(2) till it registered on the dip stick. I started the tractor and ran if for a bit. After that there was some air bubbles on top of the oil.

I went back about 1 hr later rechecked. Pretty clear, no bubbles. I ran the tractor and drove it about a bit. I ran it until pretty warm and ran it bit after that. Rechecked the oil. The level rose considerably (was 1/8 inch onto the dip stick, now at just 1/8" above the max mark) and the fluid appeared milky (I believe fine bubbles as opposed to water - no source of water contamination).

Should I check the filter (pretty snug, the standard until the flange meets then a 1/2 turn more)? Should I worry too much about this right now? I understand that cold fluid can contain a lot of air.

Thanks!

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd check it cold. I wonder if after it got hot simple expansion didn't give you the high dipstick. Like the "Hot" "Cold" levels on the radiator surge tank under the hood.

azzip

Mar 30, 2010
Rossville, Indiana
It does go down a quarter of an inch when cold. I am also wondering, exactly how bad are the bubbles that indicates an air leak? I can only peer down the check and fill hole, and I will occasionally see some bubbles on the top of the fluid. I was noting a lot of small bubbles in the fluid shortly after I cleaned the screen filter and replaced the (stupidly) lost fluid, less today but still there.

Thanks!

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hard to describe what the normal bubbles I've seen are like; maybe call them coarse. Remember that's a lot of whirling stuff in there whipping things up.

azzip

Mar 30, 2010
Rossville, Indiana
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought, just wanted confirmation. I think I will draw a little bit of the fluid off, so that even warm I'm within operating range. Other than that I will consider the job done once I finish up with greasing the machine.

Thanks!