BX2360 3-Pt Lifting Capacity

Snakebit12

Equipment
G1800, BX2360, M7040
Sep 10, 2020
Virginia
We have a BX2360 (9 yo) and are experiencing issues with the mower rear link.

The rear lift link RH (which passes through the frame and is a PITA to remove) literally snapped on one end. And the rear lift link LH (which attaches to the hydraulic lift arm snapped at the rear link connection. Strange stuff having metal literally snap like a twig.

It has dawned on us that perhaps we are contributing to the problem. We use a Titan Attachment 3-point receiver with a ball on the BX2360 and use it to navigate a 2 horse trailer in/out of a stall in our barn. We lock the MM in the up position, raise the ball into the trailer hitch and either push it into (our pull out of) the stall. Our pickup truck is too big to navigate for this purpose. Been doing this for years but maybe the excess stress has finally caught up with us?

Does anyone think that this could be causing our mower link issues?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
According to TractorData, it should be able to lift +-650# (24" from tractor), so not a weight problem.
Sounds more like a 'mechanical' issue,though I'd have to see a picture of the linkage setup. A picture of the busted link would help. did it break off at the 'hole' ? I have 3ph for my BX23S ,still in the 3 yr old box, so I can'r see what's happening.....

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I'm not sure about the BX but on my LX, the front and rear links have to be adjusted to certain lengths. There is also a note in the operators manual to use the 3 point position control to not allow the lower 3 point hitch arms to go below level with the ground when the mower is attached. Again, not sure if these are applicable to yours, but something to check.

Snakebit12

Equipment
G1800, BX2360, M7040
Sep 10, 2020
Virginia
Attached is a schematic of the Mower Rear Link LH showing what has broken. In short , item 010 broke at the hole where it loops over the post on the swinging bracket. The end of the plate on Fig K130xx broke at the bolt holes.

When these snapped, we lost items 030 and 040 (on both sides) which are laying in the grass somewhere...never to be found again.

The tongue weight on this trailer is 540 lb (per the manual) so it is under the 650 lb limit.

But the location of these breaks may be stress points when having a load on the 3-pt hitch. Am tempted to find another way to maneuver the horse trailer.

Attachments

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I am no expert, but looking at the lifting system, it appears that the problem might be that the adjustment link was adjusted to short. in other words, as the three point hitch comes up, the mower is lifted and reaches its stops. However, since the link is adjusted too short, it is being pulled beyond its travel limit and stretched until it breaks. The load on the three point hitch should not make any difference. I hope this makes sense.
Here is the procedure to provide the proper adjustment. This is something that I should check on my tractor since the hydraulics sound strained when the MMM reaches the up stop.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Snakebit12

Equipment
G1800, BX2360, M7040
Sep 10, 2020
Virginia
I am no expert, but looking at the lifting system, it appears that the problem might be that the adjustment link was adjusted to short. in other words, as the three point hitch comes up, the mower is lifted and reaches its stops. However, since the link is adjusted too short, it is being pulled beyond its travel limit and stretched until it breaks. The load on the three point hitch should not make any difference. I hope this makes sense.
Here is the procedure to provide the proper adjustment. This is something that I should check on my tractor since the hydraulics sound strained when the MMM reaches the up stop.
Thank you - I will follow this procedure after I install the new parts.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I don't have the MMM on my BX23S but what XR says makes good sense ! It's NOT the '3PH', it's the 'midmower' mechanism that failed...
looking at your picture, if nut '060' allowed bolt'050' make the linkage '010' shorter... you'd have a problem.