BX23, Loader, stopped working........

Mr. Cob

New member

Equipment
BX23 tractor
Sep 29, 2026
1
0
1
Granite Falls, Washington, USA
Howdy All,

New guy here, this is my first post and I have a question. I have an old BX23, I have no idea how old this tractor is, I saw it sitting in a field, drove by it for a couple of years noticed that it never moved. I stopped in and talked to the owner, asked if the tractor ran and if it was for sale. He said it had a cracked block and if I wanted it I could have it for FREE.

At that price I figured it was worth taking a chance, so I hauled it home. Long story short, didn't have a cracked block had two frost plugs that had popped out of the top of the cylinder head. Installed the frost plugs, changed oil and filter put in new coolant, charged the battery and it started up and ran well. To say I was a happy camper is putting it mildly.

So I started doing some yard work, everything is working great, I was doing some light digging and knocking down brush and then carrying the brush in the loader bucket. For the first 10 hours or so of operation the loader worked well, then it slowly started to slow down as it operated, yesterday the loader wouldn't work at all. The transmission works, the power steering works, the 3 point hitch rocker shaft barely moves.

I spent hours watching YouTube videos and reading on line, it's very difficult to find information on a BX23, lots of stuff on the BX23S, what the difference is I don't know. The only thing I could find on line was how to test line pressure, I don't have a gauge, and a suggestion to check fluid level, it's good and to change out the hydraulic filter as if it's clogged it can cause the problem I am having. Changed the filter, the problem didn't go away.

The one real test I could do was disconnect the hydraulic line that feeds the joystick valve body where it attaches to the valve body, started the engine and NOTHING came out of the line. So I am ASSUMING the pump is bad, I have tried to trace the line from the valve body back to the pump, it disappears somewhere under the floor pan and rear fender assemblies.

Yes I am a long winded feller, my question is this, where is the pump that feeds the joystick valve body located, am I correct in ASSUMING the pump is bad, can the pump be rebuilt, if I have to buy a new pump are they even available for something this old?

Sorry for the LONG post but I tried to give as much information as I could to save answering a lot of questions folks might have so they can help me with my problem. THANKS for any information you folks can share or suggestions you may have.

Dave