BX23 Engine Sputter, Clogging Fuel Filters

Hauland

Equipment
2005 BX23
May 2, 2013
Round Hill, Va.
I bought a used 2005 bx23 with 150 hours on it in 2012 and had to replace the fuel filters twice over the summer (mowing season) due to engine sputtering. The filters were full of gunk especially the rear one.

It is starting to sputter again and I plan on replacing both fuel filters.

I was thinking of a way to make the fuel filter replacement easier with a cutoff valve/ relocation to someplace more accessible (for the rear filter), and or a filter with replaceable catridge etc. but am now thinking I should focus on figuring out the root cause.

I have purchased fuel from what I believe is a reputable business with decent turnover.

I do not use any additives.

Just wondering if anyone has cured this issue by cleaning the tank and if so were you able to do it without removing the tank.

Has anyone used a MR. Funnel (fuel funnel with filter in it to stop water etc) of something like it?) and did this prevent the tractors filters from clogging??

Any help appreciated.

P.J.

2005 Kubota BX23

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
You probably have an algae problem. Believe it or not there are strains that seemingly are able to grow in diesel fuel. Tell your supplier you're having an algae problem, there is a special treatment available to help cure the issue (not normally found in regular pour-in additives). If you are buying from a retail outlet they probably won't have it. Most bulk farm suppliers will carry it, maybe you can get it at a truck stop (maybe), but the best bet is a bulk supplier that services a lot of agricultural operations.