Bx2230 HST pump

Orange2230

Equipment
Bx2230 mower deck and tiller
Aug 26, 2017
French Creek wv
I have a bx2230. I was traveling down a steep grade and tractor started free wheeling basically. If I held the HST pedal at about half pedal it would hold back some. Seems a little low on power as well. I am thinking maybe the HST pump is going out. Was wondering ballpark cost of replacement pump?

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
Talk to your dealer. I had that issue on another Kubota and they had a steep terrain kit. Basically a longer fill tube and dipstick and a vent tube going up the rops. They installed it no charge and it never did it again. Fluid just dropping away from the pump on steep hills and the kit basically allowed you to overfill the HST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Interesting about the overfill kit.

Anyway... were you in 2wd? I have a hill in my back yard, and if I'm in 2wd, one tire will start to slip (backwards on the diff) and it feels like I'm freewheeling. In reality, I've lost traction. Since one tire is spinning backwards, I can't get it back under control... just have to ride it out. If I hold my diff lock, or make sure I'm in 4wd... it keeps traction and don't have the issue.

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
Sounds like you came up with your solution. I was in four wheel drive and the machine at its worst literally started downhill like a runaway and I had to grab the brakes. Kind of funny story. Sent it to the dealer and he called and said he could not duplicate,the problem. I asked if he had access to a steeper hill nearby. He said he did a short distance away. 30 min later he called back and said, " Holy crap that is scary when it does that!". They called the factory and found out about the kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Orange2230

Equipment
Aug 26, 2017
French Creek wv
I was in 2wd. Very familiar with it sliding. Both rear wheels were rolling forward. And have traveled this same grade numerous times without issue.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was in 2wd. Very familiar with it sliding. Both rear wheels were rolling forward. And have traveled this same grade numerous times without issue.
Were you in low range or high range at the time?

Orange2230

Equipment
Aug 26, 2017
French Creek wv
I was in low range 2wd. Mower deck running. Now the pump is growling when in 4 wd and trying to back up a steep grade. Plenty of fluid In reservoir. Even topped off to near the point of over fill. Fluid looks milky almost like a coffee with cream color. Am thinking maybe I got some air or water in my oil. Going to change oil and filter. It doesn't seem to be affecting other hydraulic functions. Is why i am leaning towards HST pump. Doesn't seem to do it in high range at least the free wheeling. Never tried the backing in 4wd up grade.

Last edited:

Orange2230

Equipment
Aug 26, 2017
French Creek wv
Fingers crossed. I think I fixed my issue. Change hydraulic filter and fluid. I did have a lot of water in my fluid I am not sure where that came from. Ran the tractor for about 45 minutes this morning on Hillside everything seems to be holding up good.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Fingers crossed. I think I fixed my issue. Change hydraulic filter and fluid.
Betcha got it. Good for you!

I didn't see your post about the funky colored fluid until this afternoon.

The water comes from heating/cooling of the tractor. Same with the fuel system as it vents into the tank.

Good reason for fluid changes periodically, whether there are many hours or not.

I want to thank you for coming back and reporting your fix.

So often we never hear back. Then we don't know what worked (or didn't) to fix a problem.

Thanks!

Last edited: