Bx2200

kammuggins

Equipment
kabota bx 2200
Feb 27, 2013
Darrtown Ohio
I have a problem!!!
I power washed the tractor yesterday because I thought I had a rear seal leaking. After the cleaning I noticed all the oil was actually blowing forward from the vent tub which comes from the top of valve cover. Has anyone had this problem who can shed light it for me? I don't believe the tractor has ever be over heated as I bought it new and am the only user. It runs fine but I did noticed extra oil useage last summer. No smoking or water in oil. I change air filter and oil and oil filters twice each year. I called my local dealer and they suggested bad rings or blown head gasket. I would think with either of these problems I would notice smoke from the exhaust pipe or water in the oil. Of course I've been wrong before even though I've rebuilt my share of engines just not a diesel.

Thanks
Ken

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
kammuggins, this has been talked about elsewhere on the forum several times. Completely normal for a Kubota (or any diesel). You likely do NOT have anything wrong with your motor. If the oil isn't milky and the coolant is staying full with no bubbles in it, and your machine has power....you're fine. Just know that the VENT tube is doing what its designed to do....vent! :) Moderate oil consumption is not a big issue....interestingly my 198x B9200 Kubota that has likely over 3100 hrs on it (meter only goes to 999) doesn't burn a drop of oil between the 100hr changes I do...which are pretty much annually.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Blowing fwd is normal on the bx. The air comes in under the steering wheel, thru the rad and then over the eng. How much oil you're getting out of the vent is a judgement call.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
If the flow out the vent is enough to pick up oil, then one of the following issues has occurred:

1) Crankcase is way overfull and the crankshaft is whipping the oil up into a froth. Yes, over full is worse than being a little under full

2) You have a plugged drain in the head, allowing too much oil to accumulate oil in the upper part of the engine. highly unlikely though.

3) You have way too much "blow by" meaning scored cylinders, worn rings, broken rings, hole in a piston or anything else that could let compression pressure into the crankcase.

it is NOT normal in any case to have oil blowing out of the vent tube. Whether or not you can live with it is another topic though, but rest assured that in no way did Kubota (nor any other engine manufacture of the last 40 years) ever design the crankcase vent system to blow out oil if everything is normal.

EDIT - Probably should add

4) The oil / air separation system in the valve cover could have fallen apart as well.

David

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If the flow out the vent is enough to pick up oil, then one of the following issues has occurred:

1) Crankcase is way overfull and the crankshaft is whipping the oil up into a froth. Yes, over full is worse than being a little under full

2) You have a plugged drain in the head, allowing too much oil to accumulate oil in the upper part of the engine. highly unlikely though.

3) You have way too much "blow by" meaning scored cylinders, worn rings, broken rings, hole in a piston or anything else that could let compression pressure into the crankcase.

it is NOT normal in any case to have oil blowing out of the vent tube. Whether or not you can live with it is another topic though, but rest assured that in no way did Kubota (nor any other engine manufacture of the last 40 years) ever design the crankcase vent system to blow out oil if everything is normal.

EDIT - Probably should add

4) The oil / air separation system in the valve cover could have fallen apart as well.

David[/QUOTE

I agree, I service several BX units a week, If it is blowing oil from the breather you have a mechanical problem.