BX2200 Won't Start

Kubota77340

Equipment
BX2200, Land Pride 48" finish mower, DR Power 3-point wood chipper
Apr 13, 2017
Huntsville, TX, USA
Morning all,

For those that have been following my BX2200 saga, a quick update. Having moved the reassembled tractor happily under its own power from the garage to the shed, it now won't start. Coughs and sputters and the exhaust smells of partially-burned diesel, but steadfastly refuses to start.

Before I drag it back to the garage again I thought I'd ask for some help here.
Here's a quick recap of the recent work:
-Head changed due to crack. The head is a Kubota branded part, not aftermarket. New head gasket, various other gaskets, coolant, etc. All the injectors and other components are original to the tractor and just got moved over to the new head. I did check after it failed to start, and it has full coolant.
-I haven't yet run it the 30 minutes recommended for retorquing the head bolts and checking valve clearance so that may be an issue.

Battery is on a maintainer and it spins over quickly, so that's not the issue at hand.

Any thoughts?

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
When it did run was it running normally? Do you have good fuel? Have you done a compression prior to starting the engine? Were the cylinders in good condition when you pulled the bad head?

Kubota77340

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
Huntsville, TX, USA
When it did run was it running normally? Do you have good fuel? Have you done a compression prior to starting the engine? Were the cylinders in good condition when you pulled the bad head?
Good morning, Motion.

It was running rough when it was parked, which is what led to the replacement of the head to start with.

The fuel is good, as far as I know. I always use Diesel Sta-Bil. It is a bit old but the tractor ran happily until I moved it to the shed.

Cylinders were good, and I don't have a compression gauge but it started right up with the new head like it was pulling out of the factory. In the 50 yards from garage to shed, something changed and I can't figure out what it might be.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Is the fuel cutoff solenoid operating properly? Is it a two or three wire solenoid, the three wire has start and run contacts. Is fuel getting to the top of the injectors? Did you set the valves correctly? Also are all of the glow plugs operational?

Last edited:

Kubota77340

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
Huntsville, TX, USA
Is the fuel cutoff solenoid operating properly? Is it a two or three wire solenoid, the three wire has start and run contacts. Is fuel getting to the top of the injectors? Did you set the valves correctly? Also are all of the glow plugs operational?
Yes, fuel cutoff working properly. Two wire solenoid and the timer works as designed. At least some fuel is getting to the injectors, I will investigate further tonight as to whether fuel flow is the issue. I have fuel filters on order; they probably need to be replaced anyway so now is as good a time as any. I don't have a fuel injector tester and wonder if one or more of them may be suspect.

Yes, valves were set to the middle of the adjustment range during the head replacement.

Glow plugs were all working when I ran it two days ago. I can check them also.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Do as you feel is best but I'd suggest if removing the glow plugs measure the diameter and pitch and invest in a compression tester, once you have the fitting, gauge, hose and quick connects you'll have it going forward and if you get other diesels just buy the correct adapter. Regarding fuel definitely change the filters and pending how much fuel is in the tank consider draining and replacing with fresh. Ohm the glow plugs and compare readings with your manual. With the glow plugs out put your finger over the hole that will give you an idea if one or two cylinders are off.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yes, fuel cutoff working properly. Two wire solenoid and the timer works as designed. At least some fuel is getting to the injectors, I will investigate further tonight as to whether fuel flow is the issue. I have fuel filters on order; they probably need to be replaced anyway so now is as good a time as any. I don't have a fuel injector tester and wonder if one or more of them may be suspect.

Yes, valves were set to the middle of the adjustment range during the head replacement.

Glow plugs were all working when I ran it two days ago. I can check them also.
There is no timer on my BX2200.

The run solenoid is powered when the key is turned to the run position. It is strong enough to hold the solenoid in the run position, but not strong enough to pull the solenoid into the run position.

The start coil is energized when the starter turns. It pulls in the fuel cutoff armature, which enables the injector pump to supply fuel to the injectors. The run coil holds the solenoid armature in the run position until the key is turned to the off position.

You can eliminate the question if the fuel cutoff solenoid is the issue by removing it and trying to start the engine. If the engine runs, you will need to physically put the solenoid back in place to shut down.

If you think there is a timer involved (absolutely not on on my BX2200) there seems to be a an unlikely difference between our same tractors. Might be worth removing the fuel cut off solenoid just to eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem.

Kubota77340

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
Huntsville, TX, USA
There is no timer on my BX2200.

The run solenoid is powered when the key is turned to the run position. It is strong enough to hold the solenoid in the run position, but not strong enough to pull the solenoid into the run position.

The start coil is energized when the starter turns. It pulls in the fuel cutoff armature, which enables the injector pump to supply fuel to the injectors. The run coil holds the solenoid armature in the run position until the key is turned to the off position.

You can eliminate the question if the fuel cutoff solenoid is the issue by removing it and trying to start the engine. If the engine runs, you will need to physically put the solenoid back in place to shut down.

If you think there is a timer involved (absolutely not on on my BX2200) there seems to be a an unlikely difference between our same tractors. Might be worth removing the fuel cut off solenoid just to eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem.
Hey Henro,

From what I understand, my 2200 is late in the production run. The timer (which is a black box under the instrument panel) audibly releases the fuel solenoid after around 15 seconds and it passes all the test procedures. The weird wiring to the solenoid (2 wires instead of 3) is because it has the later (BX2230, if I remember right) wiring harness... that was a long and unpleasant oddity to figure out, but the OTT crew helped me sort it out and got me the right wiring diagram.

I'll pull the solenoid off tonight and see if that's the issue and do the filters and other checks while I'm at it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hey Henro,

From what I understand, my 2200 is late in the production run. The timer (which is a black box under the instrument panel) audibly releases the fuel solenoid after around 15 seconds and it passes all the test procedures. The weird wiring to the solenoid (2 wires instead of 3) is because it has the later (BX2230, if I remember right) wiring harness... that was a long and unpleasant oddity to figure out, but the OTT crew helped me sort it out and got me the right wiring diagram.

I'll pull the solenoid off tonight and see if that's the issue and do the filters and other checks while I'm at it.
Makes sense. I remember reading here that when close to changing to newer models Kubota sometimes ends up using new stuff on the last older model units being produced.

Hope you get the issue resolved soon. BX tractor is a good one....

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To summarize your statement and make sure I understand:
Your tractor ran poorly
You replaced the head
Tractor started and ran well for a short period (how long?)
Tractor put into a shed for short storage period (how long?))
Tractor won’t start now.

You might want to link the thread about the head repair (I recall seeing it but not the details)