BX2200 tiller size?

datec

Equipment
BX2200
May 23, 2018
W.Pa
Hi I'm new to the forum. I have a BX2200 that I have owned since they first came out with a FEL and bar tires.

I am now looking into a tiller for it and have been looking at Everything Attachments 52" reverse rotation and Land Prides "new" RGR1250. I have been getting too many different opinions on this, from the tractor can't handle it, it will over tax the tractor and yea that would be a great choice.

I have been doing some narrowing down of the differences in tiller choices and want reverse rotation and 6 tines per flange. I like the idea of at least 50" because I do concrete in my side business and figured I could use it to bust up the ground and scoop it out with my FEL for the forms. One person said I shouldn't do that because it would be abusing the tiller and I should disc any areas before tilling and didn't want to sell me one :eek:, I thought then WTF good is a tiller if it can't handle tilling untouched ground.

Anyhow I'm looking for those with more experience then me with tillers on the BX's. The Land Pride site has it rated for the BX's but doesn't narrow down which HP model they just have a blanket BX choice when you narrow what tractor it is going on.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Forgot to mention I do like the chain drive more then the gear drive from what I have been reading but don't know if it would really matter what do you all think? When I was working my grand parents dairy farm (when I was younger) everything was chain driven so I know chains do last.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Datec.

It should work fine but you will have to watch the depth of each pass as well as your speed depending on whether the ground is hard, rocky, etc.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
I use a 48in on my BX2200, & on my BX24. The guys at EA have always been courteous & have always given me good advice. IMO I don't see where a couple of inches in width would make a noticeable difference. The only problems I ran into with a tiller was how hard or dry the ground was. If too hard tiller will just bounce, need to break up the soil with a ripper if hard enough. Also watch out for rocks, roots & vines. PITA to clean out. Rocks & roots will break shear pins or drive lines if not careful. Hope this helps.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I use an RTR0550 on my BX2200 and BX2660, it works fine, but if I could do it over, I'd go for the next step up.

datec

Equipment
BX2200
May 23, 2018
W.Pa
Thanks guys that is a big help. I figured the depth would always be an issue with any size, I wouldn't think sinking it in for the first pass would be a good idea. If I had to make 3-4 passes to get it down no big deal that is why I have the tractor :D, it has really saved my back more time then I can count, I love that thing.

I also have a 3pt 60" woods finish mower on the back and multi-task the BX it is by far the best unit I ever bought. A tick over 1200hrs and no issues ever.

Has anyone put a grapple on theirs? I'm thinking of adding one of those too. I can see that being a welcome addition along with making it a quick attach bucket.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
My BX 2370 handles my RTA1250 with no problems except when it gets too deep in wet soil (and heavy clay at that) and then I often start to sink. I also know better than to till in that kind of soil but this year it is just starting to dry out in my area now.

I find lots of bias against the BX and what they can do because of their stature.
The BX is a tough little machine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I find it laughable when people put the BX in the lawnmower class. It is by no means a lawn mower though most will live out their useful live as such. Yeah they are a little tractor, but there is a beast waiting under that pretty orange skin

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
We have 2 of the Kubota quick attach plates (the nice part is you don't have to modify the bucket) my son in law bought a quick attach compatable grapple with the 3rd function valve for around $800 us last fall and it works great. The person selling it didn't realize that there was a broken wire in the switch handle so he dumped it on ebay. I made a couple sets of forks (not fancy but they function well) and does it ever make life a lot easier.

datec

Equipment
BX2200
May 23, 2018
W.Pa
I find it laughable when people put the BX in the lawnmower class. It is by no means a lawn mower though most will live out their useful live as such. Yeah they are a little tractor, but there is a beast waiting under that pretty orange skin
No doubt. When they first came out that is when I bought mine. Everybody said what are you gonna do with that? it's too dam small to do much. Boy did they eat their words. This tractor with FEL and 60" finish mower can and does not only cut my grass but is an absolute bulldog when it comes to work. I have done more with this unit then most people thought it could from moving dirt piles to removing bad concrete from a garage and getting it ready for a new pour. You name it, it can do it. The funny thing is now there are 3 other neighbors that now have BX's and loving them. They are the best multi-task tool you can buy small enough for the small tasks and powerful enough to take on the bigger ones.

datec

Equipment
BX2200
May 23, 2018
W.Pa
Update..... I ordered the "new" RGR1250 tiller and I went and got it Saturday. When I got home my wife insisted I chew up the ground for a new driveway I have been putting off.

All I can say is Holly S@#t this unit is badass. on the first pass I had to put my BX2200 in low to keep a nice slow speed to get use to it and it had no problem what so ever turning the hard pack ground to fine dust ripping out any root and rock that was in it's path leaving the dirt fluffed and like it was fresh sifted top soil. The first pass was about 4" deep and had no issue what so ever. after the one pass I went back to cut another pass and hit a hidden chunk of concrete that stopped the tiller in it's tracks and stalled the tractor "right now" I kinda crapped alittle started the tractor and realized I forgot to break-in the slip clutch before using it. I did the break-in on the slip clutch and went back at it.

It did one hell of a job loosening the dirt for an easy scoop out with the FEL leaving a smooth unmolested hard pack base at the bottom making loader work easy without over digging.

In making a couple more passes (before the rain hit) I watched as rocks were just pulled out of the ground (some 5") and were piled in the front of the tiller as I made my passes, it just piles them in front like a Power rake and wont let them back in the fresh tilled ground for easy clean up at the end of each pass. The other thing it easily did was rip and break/cut 2" thick roots hidden underground without even giving a hint of an issue.

This unit really is a very good match for my BX2200 any bigger might be alittle too much but I can't see a need to use anything bigger on the BX even if it could handle it.

If anyone is in the market of a tiller this unit is well worth looking into the reverse rotation, 6-tine is awesome.