Bx2200 strange problem

Bullethole

Equipment
Bx2200
Sep 4, 2010
Sharon springs, new york
I have a 12 year old bx2200 which has given me no problems until recently. When I went to do my annual service, I noticed that the coolant looked strange when I looked into it further, it smells like hydraulic oil. Bothe the engine and hydraulic oil levels stay constant. I drained and flushed the cooling system, and refilled it. After I ran it today for about 20 min when it cooled down, I checked the coolant again, and there are signs of hydraulic oil in it again. I can't seek anywhere that the hydraulics and the coolant would mix. I'm stumped, any suggestions

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
I can't see how trans-oil gets into the engine block . Are you sure
you haven't convinced yourself because of the perceived scent ?
Isn't the driveshaft the only connection between the engine
and the transmission ?
Is/was the coolant discoloured when you serviced the engine , or
does/did it only have a film of oil floating on the coolant ?
I assume it wasn't brown coolant due to CO2 from a gasket leak ?

Bullethole

Equipment
Bx2200
Sep 4, 2010
Sharon springs, new york
That's what is so strange. I had a diesel mechanic look at it and he thought it was hydraulic fluid as well. The old coolant had a glob on top that had the right viscosity for hydraulic fluid. Maybe the oil interacting with the coolant is causing it to be more viscous. I really can't see anyplace where the hydraulic system interacts or crosses with the cooling system. In the new coolant, there is a visible film and some globs forming.

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
Kubota stock hydraulic fluid UDT doesn't smell nearly as much as 'normal' hydraulic fluid.

I'd guess a head gasket leak (most likely) or a cracked block

revkev

Equipment
bx2200
May 28, 2012
Waldoboro Me.
I had a strange problem today as well. I greased the tractor before my wife mowed (we have about 10 acres to mow)Checked the fluids and sent her out. When she cam back there was a serious hydraulic leak. I washed it down and cut away the protective wrapping on the lines that come out fro below the steering wheel and the was a stream of fluid shooting out of the hose. What kind of pressure does this rascal carry anybody know ?What do these hoses carry fluid to or from ?

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
I'm not sure what the hoses go to, but they are between 1500-2000 PSI of pressure. NEVER put you hand near one that is spraying, that stuff can be injected right into your body, and can cause major damage to your hydraulic system!!!!