BX2200 starts fine then loses power and chugs with black smoke

Flynifr

Equipment
2002 BX2200
May 1, 2012
Clifton Park, NY
Odd problem with my BX2200 1550hours. I was mowing along and the tractor lost all power and started shaking violently. I was able to limp it back to the garage. Here is what it is doing. Turn to run and fuel pump clicks and charges the system. Turns over normal and starts. Engine comes up to RPM and runs fine for 20-30 seconds then loses RPM and starts chugging and shaking. I can turn it off and restart it and it does the same thing. So far I have changed both fuel filters, drained the tank and added fresh fuel, fuel pump is pumping, checked all fuses, removed and checked fuel stop solenoid and checked return fuel flow. I even bled the injectors. No change.

Suggestions??? My wife said to just buy a new one which I will take her up on but I need to get this running to sell it.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Mine did that, It was a loose connection on the fuel shutoff solenoid. Raise the hood, start the eng and watch the solenoid for cycleing. it's on the left side. You can find it by turning the key on and off, you'll see it moveing

Flynifr

Equipment
2002 BX2200
May 1, 2012
Clifton Park, NY
I actually pulled the solenoid completely out of the block and it still did the same thing. The solenoid also appeared to be working fine. Pin retracted and stayed back while running and sprung back when the switch was turned off.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Very dirty AIR filter or restriction in the air inlet system would be my best guess. It would start ok, run until the vacuum built up and then you will get the black smoke due to amount of over fueling due to lack of air.

Seen it before.

David

Flynifr

Equipment
2002 BX2200
May 1, 2012
Clifton Park, NY
Not air restriction. Pulled the air filter and started it. If I try to plug the air inlet with my hand there is so much suction it will start to collapse the hose.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It sounds like you have covered just about everything. Good troubleshooting skills.

About the only thing left is to have the fuel injectors checked or replaced. Those three cylinder engines have a fit when the fuel is not flowing correctly. For example, the violent shudder when the engine is shut off and fuel starved.

I think there are some auto supply stores that can check injectors (like a NAPA). Call around your local area and take them in for a testing.

If one injector is bad I'd recommend replacing them all but it is not my money. Plus, I have no idea what the cost might be. It would surely be less than buying a new tractor.

Sylvester

Equipment
B7100, G1900
Mar 17, 2012
Uk
Sounds like it is still getting starved of fuel, maybe take the fuel pipe off at the injector pump and run the fuel into a can to see if you have a constant flow of fuel, and nothing blocking the outlet from the tank? Rubber fuel hose collapsing internally with age?

Last edited:

Flynifr

Equipment
2002 BX2200
May 1, 2012
Clifton Park, NY
Problem solved! I took it to an old time diesel mechanic. This guy is in his 80s and owns a trucking company. Now he just tinkers in the garage. I showed him what it was doing and he asked me what I had tried. When I was finished he said "it's you oil". He pulled it over his pit and drained about a quart of oil out of it. Problem solved. It started right up and ran fine. It wasn't showing over full but apparently the full line is too much. Not sure where the fuel is getting into the oil but it's running fine now which is all I needed so I can trade it in on a new one. Just to be safe I changed the oil and put in 15W-40 Rotella-T that he recommended. It has Mobil 1 synthetic on the recommendation of a NAPA employee which I now know was a mistake. Never saw this solution anywhere on the Internet.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Ahh...those old mechanics are worth their weight in gold.

Was the Mobil 1 rated for diesel (compression) engines? If it wasn't then that was definitely a mistaken recommendation by the NAPA employee. The oil rating must start with a "C" (compression), like CJ-5 for instance.