Feb 18, 2020
North CA
So what? We gotta wait until the weekend to see how this turns out?:LOL:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I was never interested in English class Russel, but I think this might be called semantics. Had to let the spell checker spell that for me! Guess I only get the four letter words right...😳

Technically, when a meter is used, it measures voltage, not voltage “drop” alone, since voltage rise in parts of a circuit is also possible, depending on the perspective a circuit is being analyzed from.

Just splitting hairs, but it would probably be best to say voltage develops across a resistance when current flows through that resistance. It can be a drop or a rise, depending on direction the current is flowing.
Fair enough and I understand how you use the word “develop” now, I was reading it and thinking the wrong connotation of that word, so it is really just semantics and hopefully these few comments help with understanding the point of the test.

Thank you for your reply.

TimF

Equipment
BX22, brushog, yorkrake
May 3, 2019
Greenland, NH
Well guys,
I don't have much to report. I got up to camp this morning, cleaned up the surface where the starter mounts to the frame, put everything back together, and she fired right up. I used the backhoe for about 4 hours and shut the tractor off about 6 times, and each time she started right back up. I tried to locate the safety switch for the range gear shift lever to clean it up, but how the hell do you get to it? I found it, but it is tucked down in behind the rear wheel and looks impossible to physically put your hands on it. Anyways, all your support is appreciated, and I have made a hard copy so I know what to check if the problem raises it's ugly head again.

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Glad you got it started.
do you think it was the corrosion between the mating surfaces of the starter and the block??

TimF

Equipment
BX22, brushog, yorkrake
May 3, 2019
Greenland, NH
Hi Njtool, I am not sure. The surface between the starter and the block was painted (original), so I just sanded the mating surfaces where the started bolts up to the frame, put a light coat of electrical grease on the surfaces, and put it back together. I am going to buy a relay kit as JeremyBX2200 explained above, because I do think the two safety switches cut down on the voltage to the solenoid. Thanks JeremyBX2200 for the great details. The tractor is 19 years old, but it has never been out in the rain, always kept inside and waxed. Some day I will figure out how to get to those safety switches and clean them up.

Reactions: 1 users