BX1880 or 2380

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
In my overall opinion buying a tractor is similar to buying a car. It is an investment. If the price is $2k difference today, what will it be in 5 years when you realized you should have went bigger. 5 years the difference could be $4k. I understand everyone has a budget but I would buy as much tractor as you can today, service it, keep it clean, and keep it forever. A properly maintained piece of equipment should last for years to come. Just my opinion. How much more is a B series?
I'll sort of disagree a little. Between a BX1880 and a BX2380 (which is the $2K difference) the real change is speed, not capability. They're the same chassis, hydraulics and drivetrain, just a smaller engine driving it all. The BX is pretty well known to be traction limited, so for most tasks on most terrain either the 18 or the 23HP will spin the wheels before it runs out of power. PTO implements yes it'll matter, but you can work around it by taking things slow. Personally I'd have bought the 23, but not everyone has the money.

A step to a B series would be quite different, but they're also more than $2K more. For what he's suggesting, which is really only 1 acre of property plus a bit of woods maintenance, a BX is a reasonable choice. Again, I'd probably have bought a B even if second hand because of ground clearance and lift capability if I wanted a grapple, but I can't judge other people's financial position.

I will agree with you that a tractor holds value really well (which we can tell by looking at 5 year old machines that are worth almost the same as new), and you can easily get 20 years of use out of it. So if you _can_ stretch a little extra, it'll give you years of benefit. But again, not everyone _can_.

Last edited:

jrm

Equipment
bx1880
Aug 26, 2019
brightwood, Oregon
thanks guys, wow quick responses here! Everyone has brought up exactly what my thoughts were over the last 2 days. My friends 2320 is a little to large for what I need it for and is 5K more (B2301 now) Now that the 18 uses the same bucket, transmission, axles....everything except for the seat, tires and 160cc of engine- I choose the 18. I have not taken delivery yet- was pondering heavily over the 2380 but $148 a month with the new bucket is pretty darn awesome. (since I have a lot of overhead with other toys)

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I was not comparing the price between two BX series tractors. I was comparing spending less now compared to more later when you realize the power plant is not up to par. My mind made sense lol. Just not my writing.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
thanks guys, wow quick responses here! Everyone has brought up exactly what my thoughts were over the last 2 days. My friends 2320 is a little to large for what I need it for and is 5K more (B2301 now) Now that the 18 uses the same bucket, transmission, axles....everything except for the seat, tires and 160cc of engine- I choose the 18. I have not taken delivery yet- was pondering heavily over the 2380 but $148 a month with the new bucket is pretty darn awesome. (since I have a lot of overhead with other toys)
In the end your know your finances better than anyone. You know your property better as well. If you will be satisfied with the BX1880 then congratulations on your new tractor. Myself I usually buy bigger to grow into it. I looked at L3901s and bought an MX5800. I am glad I did I use its capacity all of the time. Beforehand I would have never thought I needed that much tractor. I have put it to the test.

jrm

Equipment
bx1880
Aug 26, 2019
brightwood, Oregon
I was not comparing the price between two BX series tractors. I was comparing spending less now compared to more later when you realize the power plant is not up to par. My mind made sense lol. Just not my writing.
Good point, and not a lot of 18's on YouTube either. I did forget to bring up our 30" of wet snowfall last winter

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I sure am happy I didnt get the bigger tractor with mo horse power ,,, said no one :rolleyes:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Again, you know your finances better than anyone. But for $5K more, I'd get the B2301, or even about $7K for a B2601, specially as it's not delivered yet so now's the time to change.

Comparisons are here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37655, but it doesn't tell the full story. The B is quite a bit more tractor in size and strength of components. If you broke your quad pulling a harrow, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're a guy who pushes your equipment hard. A B will put up with that a bit more, the BX is a good and strong machine, but the B is quite a bit more.

Sounds like you have lots invested in other machinery. I'd start to think how much of that you could really replace with a tractor. They have way more uses than you know when you first buy it. The more other machinery you replace, the more you can justify spending on the tractor. For example, a grapple is hugely useful if you have wooded area that needs to be kept clear, particularly if you have trails in those woods (if you don't, you need to make trails, so you need a tractor even more).

The BX is known for having low ground clearance. That's great for people coming up from a lawn tractor, and people who need stability. The B has a lot more clearance, and that's really useful if you're in the woods. Also the bigger front wheels let you drive over more stuff - the BX front wheels are pretty small.

Having said all that, the BX1880 will be way more machine than you have today, and you'll probably be very happy with it.

jrm

Equipment
bx1880
Aug 26, 2019
brightwood, Oregon
My friend who has a 2320 and a JD 4200 visited for a few beers, the only thing we had concern over is the ground clearance that you brought up. he thinks I'm bat **** nuts for getting a bx....asked what mushrooms I ate... but honestly, my property is "finished' and in maintenance mode for the lack of a better term. Here is a video of my property I filmed during my 4yr old's first solo trip around our property's perimeter trail. not a lot more to do other than hauling out the alder trees that keep dyeing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXvXlF4kYps&t=82s

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
BX will easy do that, so you're right, there's nothing there that needs a bigger machine.

Trails are a bit narrow, need to push some logs sideways. BX can do that.

Ground clearance didn't look to be an issue on those trails.

I'd still buy a B. But it's different when it's your own money. :)

jrm

Equipment
bx1880
Aug 26, 2019
brightwood, Oregon
Got it today, the 18 has plenty of engine power- moved heavy trees around with ease. spun all 4 with ease at 2k rpm while simultaneously picking up the end of a tree with the bucket. Only limitations I faced was the physical size of the BX, and not the 18 vs 23hp I feared. Its sure a narrow thing, are there spacers for these tractors? I already have the land pride Grapple in my sights :D
EDIT- I dug up the torque specs, this little D722 puts out more torque than the John Deere 1023e and even more than the 1025R and PTO power between the 1880 and the 1023E is almost the same. Glad I choose Orange! http://www.kubotaengine.com/assets/documents/04_d722_36.pdf

Last edited:

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
I was surprised to see my post resurface from 2017. I did go with the 2380 and have been very pleased with it. I mostly move dirt with the FEL and grade with the box blade. I do not have a mower attachment. Things I have added. Loaded rear tires, 2" jeep spacers on rear,BX under armor, piranha bar, Tuff Top canopy(removes easily, I need to fold my ROP's to get in garage), custom step from Paul at Specialty Mods, swapped out headlight bulbs for LED bulbs(got on amazon. After 1 1/2 years I have 170 hours on it. Only problem I have had so far was one time I got on it and it was completely dead. I thought it might be a bad safety switch. I check all my connections and found a quick disconnect on a wire that runs to the starter just loose enough to not make contact. Snapped it back in and was on my way again. Did the 50 hour myself and changed "ALL" filters and fluids (except front axel). Don't forget the micro screen, mine was 70% blocked at 50 hours with what was probably engine sealant. Checked it again 20 hours later and completely clean (a #5 rubber plug will fit in the hole and minimize fluid loss if you need to just check the screen.

jrm

Equipment
bx1880
Aug 26, 2019
brightwood, Oregon
I did a Google search when nailing down by choice and joined the forums. I will check into those Jeep spacers- where is the filter screen at? I'm half tempted to get 2380 Tire and Wheel combo for my 1880

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
When looking at the back of the tractor it is to the left of the PTO and lower. Looks like a bolt with a safety latch over the edge of it.

kskomro

Equipment
BX1880, Loader, Rear Blade 60", Carry all
Feb 25, 2014
Center of CT
This past March I purchased my 2nd BX1880. I owned one about 5 years ago. I sold it and regretted it. So I ended up buying another. This time I ordered it with a 48" mower deck. I have never once said I wish i bought the 2300 series. I've done a lot of work with both of my 1800 series. The only regret is I should not have purchased the deck. The tractors don't turn sharp to get around tight turns but I just now use either a push mower or trimmer. I've moved many tons of Trap rock, Process stone, snow and top soil. I did install a piranha tooth bar for digging, and it also works great! I bought a rear blade for weight, and it's useful tool also, better money spend then on weight box. The 3 point hitch is great, I've made platforms to carry almost anything I have that won't fit in bucket. A Reese Hitch for the 3 point, and a Harbor freight carry all helps me a lot. The Turf tires work great, no need for any other.

KubotaMaxx

Aug 31, 2019
Ohio
Just got my 2380 a few weeks ago...got the grapple and 3FLV AND LOVE IT!!! having some issues right now but hopefully they get sorted out...bc I just want to high back at it!!! Grapple is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk