BX1860 Low Pressure Fuel Pump

hudson68

Equipment
BX1860;LA203-Loader;RCK54-29B MP Mower;Land Pride RB1560 Rear Blade
Sep 10, 2019
Winchester, CT
Does anyone know if the low pressure fuel pump on a BX1860 tractor can fluctuate in operation or is it a device that either works or does not. I've owned this machine for 8 years now and never had any issue starting the engine unless outside factors were involved. I'm am unable to start this machine for the life of me. I went through and ruled out entire fuel system by means of disassembly and reassembly. New filters and hoses. Removed fuel tank and cleaned the rot out of the steel fittings. Made sure I had a full return back to tank. Removed injector delivery pipes and checked fuel delivery. All ok. I gave up and really thought I would have to take it in to the bank. But before I would do this, I sprayed a bit of start fluid in. I bumped the starter and I finally had fire. I continued to bump for about 2 minutes because I know what this fluid can do to the machine and don't recommend it. However the machine finally started and ran fantastic. It ran for 2 days without any problems in starting until yesterday. I'm down to the same problem. Crank with no start. This happened after going up a bit of an incline and then I had used the bucket to lift the front of machine up as high as possible. At that point it would not restart. Could the low pressure pump have a hard time as the head gets greater? HELP

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The fuel pump should be delivering a constant supply of fuel and it sounds like it is starting to fail.

Dirt, like you have had in your fuel tank, can make its way into the fuel pump and stop its internal valves from operating properly.

Open the fuel line after the filter but before the injection pump. Turn on the key. You should see a steady stream of fuel coming out.

Resorting to quick-start (aka either) is q quick way to make a small problem much, much worse.

On many small tractors, gravity can deliver fuel to the injection pump when the tank is full. It is with low fuel levels and uphill grades that gravity no longer delivers fuel and the pump needs to be working.

Dave

hudson68

Equipment
BX1860;LA203-Loader;RCK54-29B MP Mower;Land Pride RB1560 Rear Blade
Sep 10, 2019
Winchester, CT
The position the tractor sits now is a slight incline as I used the loader to lift the front up to slide the mid PTO shaft for my mower on. This is when I turned the engine off, connected the shaft, and attempted to restart. No luck so I dropped the front down as much as I could but my boom cylinder is fully extended so I can't get the machine level at this moment. However I disconnected the fuel line at the inlet to the injector module, turned key to on, and I seemed to be getting a good flow a fuel without any air. By checking the LP pump flow this way I'm not replicating any head pressure and the fuel coming out was flowing the same as if I disconnected the hose before the first filter. I'm wondering if the pump is failing under head pressure therefore no combustion. I have 1,580 hours on this machine and the only broken parts are the ones that are made of plastic. I've always done my due diligence with filter and fluid checks and replacements. I started losing power at the end of the snow season. This was always certain to happen traveling uphill especially when mowing. It had gotten to the point where the RPM's would drop considerably and the throttle lever would have no effect whatsoever. The first no start was 2 weekends ago as described in my original post.Changed the filters and checked all I could. Started the machine, idle for 30 minutes, shut off for 15 minutes, couldn't start again.Went through entire machine, I own all 3 repair manuals and all troubleshooting eludes to fuel delivery. When I say no start, starter cranks but absolutely no combustion. The either gave it combustion and was fine for 2 days.I'm in the same position I was. I'm going to purchase a new low pressure pump because they are inexpensive and hope this is the issue. I can't think or see anything else

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The fuel system operates under very low pressure. There is a burp or return line providing a flow back to the tank for flow in excess of injection pump needs and any small leakage from within the fuel injector body.

A new pump would be my next step.

Dave