bx1860 front tire chains

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
I would like to put chains on the front of the bx1860 to help with steering while plowing snow (its cold and icy in central vermont). Has anyone found chains that fit the small front wheels with their limited clearance on the tie rod ends?

thanks

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Not sure what size your tires are, but mine are 18x6.5r8 on my B5100. I took some old chains I had for a 22x11r8 ATV tire and cut three links out of every cross chain and reconnected with quick links. This effectively removed 2 links each. They fit pretty much perfect. I may have considerably more clearance than you due to the fact that my front axle is a portal hub design as opposed to the bevel gear (I think) design of the BX axle. I'd say if you have an inch or so clearance from the inside sidewall you should be good.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
When I have trouble steering with by snowblower on, I take it out of float and just raise the blower enough to put the weight of the blower on the front tires. I immediately have steering control. If you have a front blade and are pushing the snow try picking the blade up a little. Don't pick it up much just enough to put the weight of the blade on the front tires.

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
thanks for the reply grouse feathers -

I have had good success with the slight lift method but part of what I have to plow is seriously off camber and I have to push snow across the angle. Its really hard to keep the tractor on course. Its hard to image that anything but chains/cables will really do the tick.

countrynerd

Equipment
BX25D, L3301
Jun 6, 2016
thumb, MI, USA
TerraGrips Tire Chains 18x8.5-10 [ST90012]

Amazon

Just got week ago for same reason could not get enough tractor. Even got bike spikes to drill in but waiting to see if need when ice over. Sometimes the chain hits control arm but been watching and not even rubs paint off yet. So they work but close fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockerin

Equipment
Kubota 2620 HST 2013
Sep 9, 2013
Ontario canada
I would like to put chains on the front of the bx1860 to help with steering while plowing snow (its cold and icy in central vermont). Has anyone found chains that fit the small front wheels with their limited clearance on the tie rod ends?

thanks
Hi, when I researched the chains question , all wheels, just 2 wheels , the answer I got back from Kubota Canada was all wheels only, not just front or just back. This was on the B2620 Hydrostatic.

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
What was the reasoning behind that statement, if you do both fronts, why does it matter, it is not like you are going to get diff wind up as the wheels are different sizes anyway.
I would just like to know it was more rational than to sell more chains.
I have chains that fit the front of my B2301 they are for a Smart car.

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
I wound up using a pair of brotec 1.25" wheel spacers to allow the front chains to clear. Otherwise there was no way to make chains work without any rubbing. They are a vast improvement for steering the tractor when plowing heavy snow - even with the blade in the float position.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I did it also by shortening up some other tractor chains. However, they tore the rubber boots on the tie rod ends. Result, I don't use chains there any more.