BX1850D - rear axle blow out?

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
This has happened twice - and i still don't have a clue as to why.

The left side rear axle seal (at least the plastic 'cup') will push out, all the fluid runs out - and then it pulls itself back in.

I have scratched everything trying to figure it out. Any thoughts?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Geee I dont know dude, as much as you have been bashin that BX maybe you should get rid of it and go green, and see how that works out for you..., just sayin

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Check the vent on top back of the tranny. It's near the three point hitch. if plugged, fluid will leak out in the weakest spot in the system.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Geee I dont know dude, as much as you have been bashin that BX maybe you should get rid of it and go green, and see how that works out for you..., just sayin
The engine and tranny have held up great - but between the steering, poor dealer work, and the excessive use of plastic....I don't know what color I'll end up with at replacement time.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
The vent was my first check. Appears to be ok.

I understand the seals don't last forever, and if it failed, hey, stuff happens. But what I don't understand is how it pulls the cap back in. I can re-fill the tranny and no leak.

Like I said, this is the second time. First time was a couple years ago. Refilled tranny and has been fine until now. It is just about the oddest thing I have encountered.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
I pulled the axle housing cap out, cleaned around it, pushed it back into place, then filled it up...and no leak. Fired it up - no leak. Went through all the hydraulic motions...and still no leak.

I had already cleaned the vent - but pulled it out again just to be sure. And while the hole was not clogged, I noticed that there was some trace amounts of some sort of very fine black stuff around the bottom of the red cap. I also noticed the cap travels up and down a tiny amount to allow the two indentations in the very top to exhale pressure. I am surmising the tiny amount of black stuff somehow interferes with the red cap lifting up to release pressure.

10 qts later, it's running again.

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Have you checked the hydrostatic cooling fan? Could be high pressure caused by overheating.