BX1850D: Needing some guidance in replacing forward propeller shaft oil seal

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Out of the blue, my little orange critter started leaking tranny oil. It looked like the leak was coming from the oil seal for the front propeller shaft right at the tranny spline stub. I removed the HST filter and in examining it, I thought I detected a super tiny pin hole. I was super pleased that maybe - just maybe - the leak would/could be fixed with just a new filter. Fingers crossed.

So, i removed both u-joints and the front drive shaft. I put the drive in neutral and the FWD shaft spins just fine. Took a break for a parts run.

I will install a new filter, and refill the tranny, and then start it up. And i soooooooo hope the new filter did the trick.

Should that not be the fix - I'm not sure on how to remove the oil seal on the 4WD shaft after I remove the remaining parts and pieces to get to it. I do have a full set of 4 heavy duty "picks".... and is that what I use to pull the seal? (FWIW - I bought the "picks" when I replaced the seals in the bucket cylinder.) I'm assuming the 90° pick would work best...but again....I have no experience in pulling a seal that is actually on a shaft.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Very simple . Make a small hole in the face of the seal with a pick or something simliar. Get a wood or metal screw and screw it into the seal and pull it out with vice grips. [ don't screw the screw in to deep as to make contact with the brg behind ] See attached pic.

Attachments

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Looks easy enough! :)

The good news is that a new HST filter is installed. The bad news is that it still leaks like a sieve.

With the tractor running, I stuck my head up under with a high power light....and the leak is coming from above the FWD shaft/bearing. Somewhere, something "higher" on the case. And due to the overall confluence of parts - I can't see as to where it might be. Of course, the frame blocks any view. I'll remove the wheel but again, the frame is blocking the view.

Why is my wallet quivering-- shaking -- with fear?

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
The good news - I found the problem! It took some doing - as in removing ROPS, the bottom fuel tank supports, and other odds and ends until I could lift the fuel tank up. In the top of the transmission case is a 'port' with a rubber hose that was so brittle that it nearly crumbled when I found it. A 4" piece of the hose completely crumbled so the hunt was on to replace the whole thing.

Lucky me it took 3 Kubota parts guys to figure out what assembly it was grouped with - and it would be about 7 days to get it. I mean, all it is fuel line!

Went into town and got a piece of high temp transmission hose....and some new spring clips. Now the trick will be to put it all back together. The plastic body fell apart some more so I am going to have to come up with something for mounting the lever guides.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
last update.

Of course, Kubota couldn't use just a standard piece of fuel hose (PN# 09661-40525) (that's what they call it in the IPB).
Appears that it is 5/32" (4mm) on one end and 1/4" or so on the other end. BOTH of the local Kubota dealerships don't carry it in stock. $7.50 +$14 shipping + 5 -7 days - or +$30 shipping for next day - to the store!!!

Gotta say, I'm so pissed I could scream! This isn
t some formed hose - it's just extra stretchy so it fits both ends with proper clamps.
IT"S A crappy 15" RUBBER HOSE!!! This is when "engineers" lose credibility.